Cunningham (front) with the Timberwolves in January 2014
|No. 44 – Brooklyn Nets|
April 22, 1987 |
|Listed height||6 ft 8 in (2.03 m)|
|Listed weight||230 lb (104 kg)|
|NBA draft||2009 / Round: 2 / Pick: 33rd overall|
|Selected by the Portland Trail Blazers|
|2009–2011||Portland Trail Blazers|
|2014–2018||New Orleans Pelicans|
|Stats at NBA.com|
|Stats at Basketball-Reference.com|
Dante Lamar Cunningham (born April 22, 1987) is an American professional basketball player for the Brooklyn Nets of the National Basketball Association (NBA). He played college basketball for Villanova before being selected with the 33rd overall pick in the 2009 NBA draft by the Portland Trail Blazers.
- 1 Early life
- 2 High school career
- 3 College career
- 4 Professional career
- 5 NBA career statistics
- 6 Personal life
- 7 References
- 8 External links
High school career
Cunningham began his prep career at St. John's College High School in Washington, D.C. While a junior, he averaged 10 points per game and 7.4 rebounds. One of his teammates, Dwayne Anderson, would later play at Villanova with Cunningham.
As a senior, Cunningham transferred to Potomac High School, which he led to a 27–0 season under Head Coach Rico Reed. He averaged 13 rebounds, 20 points, and four blocked shots per game at Potomac. He was honored as the Washington Post Metropolitan Player of the Year.
In his senior year, Cunningham would go on to lead the team in scoring and take home the Big East Most Improved Player award. He led the Wildcats to their first Final Four appearance since 1985.
Portland Trail Blazers (2009–2011)
Cunningham was drafted 33rd overall by the Portland Trail Blazers in the 2009 NBA draft. He played for Portland's Las Vegas Summer League team where he averaged over 18 points and 5 rebounds per game in four contests. On August 21, 2009, Cunningham signed his rookie scale contract with the Trail Blazers.
Charlotte Bobcats (2011)
Memphis Grizzlies (2011–2012)
On December 20, 2011, Cunningham received a three-year, $7 million offer sheet from the Memphis Grizzlies. The Bobcats declined to match the offer and subsequently signed the contract with the Grizzlies.
Minnesota Timberwolves (2012–2014)
New Orleans Pelicans (2014–2018)
Brooklyn Nets (2018–present)
NBA career statistics
|GP||Games played||GS||Games started||MPG||Minutes per game|
|FG%||Field goal percentage||3P%||3-point field goal percentage||FT%||Free throw percentage|
|RPG||Rebounds per game||APG||Assists per game||SPG||Steals per game|
|BPG||Blocks per game||PPG||Points per game||Bold||Career high|
On April 3, 2014, Cunningham was arrested for allegedly choking his girlfriend with whom he lived. Three days later, he was arrested on alleged domestic abuse charges. By August 18, 2014, charges were dropped, due to evidence Cunningham's then girlfriend had fabricated her accusations.
Cunningham was included on a preliminary list for Great Britain's Eurobasket 2009 qualifying matches in 2008. However, he was later ruled ineligible to compete for Britain after an investigation by British Basketball officials into his ancestral ties failed to prove his case to receive UK citizenship.
- "Dante Cunningham Profile". Villanova.com. CBS Interactive. 2009. Retrieved 2009-03-29.
- Joe Freeman, Blazers sign draft pick Dante Cunningham, August 21, 2009
- "Cunningham, Przybilla, Marks, 2 First Round Picks Acquired from Portland". NBA.com. 2011-02-24. Archived from the original on 2011-06-28. Retrieved 2011-02-25.
- "Grizzlies tender offer sheet to Dante Cunningham". NBA.com. 2011-12-20. Retrieved 2011-12-22.
- "Grizzlies sign Dante Cunningham". NBA.com. 2011-12-24. Retrieved 2011-12-25.
- Wolves Acquire Dante Cunningham From Memphis
- "Pelicans Sign Dante Cunningham". NBA.com. December 4, 2014. Retrieved July 20, 2017.
- "Pelicans Re-Sign Ajinca, Asik and Cunningham". NBA.com. July 9, 2015. Retrieved July 9, 2015.
- "Pelicans re-sign Dante Cunningham". NBA.com. September 25, 2017. Retrieved September 25, 2017.
- "Brooklyn Nets Acquire Dante Cunningham From New Orleans". NBA.com. February 8, 2018. Retrieved February 9, 2018.
- Timberwolves’ Dante Cunningham arrested for second time this week
- Felony assault charge against Cunningham dropped
- NBA free agent Dante Cunningham struggles to clear name after domestic violence charge dropped
- "Gordon is named in Britain squad". BBC News. April 1, 2008. Retrieved May 1, 2010.
- MULLENS TO JOIN GB’S OLYMPIC TILT