|Group 2 race|
|Race type||Flat / Thoroughbred|
|Distance||1m 2f 56y (2,063m)|
|Weight||9 st 0 lb|
3 lb for fillies
3 lb for G1 win this year
|Red Glow||Kefaah||Glacial Storm|
The event is named after Dante, the Yorkshire-trained winner of the Derby substitute at Newmarket in 1945. Established in 1958, it serves as a major trial for the Derby. The first running was won by Bald Eagle.
In total, ten winners of the race have achieved victory in the Derby. The first was St Paddy in 1960, and the most recent was Golden Horn in 2015. The 2014 Dante Stakes winner, The Grey Gatsby, subsequently won France's equivalent of the Derby, the Prix du Jockey-Club while the 2015 runner-up, Jack Hobbs, won the Irish Derby.
The Dante Stakes is currently staged on the second day of York's three-day Dante Festival meeting.
Leading jockey (6 wins):
- Pat Eddery – Beldale Flutter (1981), Hot Touch (1983), Damister (1985), Red Glow (1988), Sanglamore (1990), Tenby (1993)
Leading trainer (7 wins):
- Henry Cecil – Approval (1970), Lyphard's Wish (1979), Hello Gorgeous (1980), Simply Great (1982), Claude Monet (1984), Reference Point (1987), Tenby (1993)
- Racing Post:
- galopp-sieger.de – Dante Stakes.
- horseracingintfed.com – International Federation of Horseracing Authorities – Dante Stakes (2018).
- pedigreequery.com – Dante Stakes – York.
- Abelson, Edward; Tyrrel, John (1993). The Breedon Book of Horse Racing Records. Breedon Books. p. 43. ISBN 1-873626-15-0.
- Race Recordings