Dao (Dungeons & Dragons)
The dao first appeared in first edition Advanced Dungeons & Dragons in Dragon #66 (October 1982). The dao then appeared in the adventure module The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth (1982), and was reprinted in the first edition Monster Manual II (1983).
The dao appeared in second edition under the "genie" heading in Monstrous Compendium Volume One (1989), and in the Monstrous Manual (1993). The noble dao and the Great Khan of the dao appeared for the Al-Qadim setting in the Monstrous Compendium Al-Qadim Appendix (1992). The dao appeared under the genie of Zakhara heading in the Land of Fate boxed set (1992).
The dao are genies from the Elemental Plane of Earth, which often run gem-mining operations there or on the Material Plane.
- Gygax, Gary. "Featured Creatures" Dragon #66 (TSR, 1982)
- Gygax, Gary. The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth (TSR, 1982)
- Gygax, Gary. Monster Manual II (TSR, 1983)
- Cook, David "Zeb", et al. Monstrous Compendium Volume One (TSR, 1989)
- Stewart, Doug, ed. Monstrous Manual (TSR, 1993)
- Baur, Wolfgang and Steve Kurtz. Monstrous Compendium Al-Qadim Appendix (TSR, 1992)
- Grubb, Jeff, David Noonan, and Bruce Cordell. Manual of the Planes (Wizards of the Coast, 2001)