Daoxing Xia (Chinese: 夏道行, Pinyin: Xià Dàoxíng) is a Chinese American mathematician. He is currently a professor at the Department of Mathematics, Vanderbilt University in the United States. He also became an academician of the Chinese Academy of Science in 1980.
Xia was born on October 20, 1930 in Taizhou, Jiangsu. He did his undergraduate studies at the Department of Mathematics at Shandong University and then obtained his postgraduate degree from the Department of Mathematics at Zhejiang University in 1952. His advisor was Chen Jiangong, who was the dean of the Department of Mathematics.
Later in 1952, Xia went to Fudan University in Shanghai as an assistant. In 1954 he became a lecturer, and in 1956, gained a position as an associate professor. In September 1957, he was sent to the Moscow State University in Soviet Russia where he did one year of research.
In 1978 he obtained his professorship at Fudan University and rose to the position of vice director of the Fudan University Mathematics Research Institute. In 1980 he was elected to become a member of the Chinese Academy of Science, and also became a shared-professor between the Chinese Academy of Science Mathematical Physics Research Institute and the Shandong University Department of Mathematics. He was a visiting professor of many universities and gave lectures.
In 1984 he went to the United States, becoming a professor at the Department of Mathematics, Vanderbilt University.
- Spectral Theory of Hyponormal Operators, by Daoxing Xia, Springer Verlag (January 1984)
- Spectral Theory of Linear Operators, (with S. Yan), Press Chinese Academy of Science, Beijing (1987).
- The Second of Functional Analysis, (with S. Yan, W. Su and Y. Tong), Press Higher Education, Beijing (1986).
- An Invitation to the Theory of Linear Topological Spaces, (with Y.L. Yang), Science & Technology Press Shanghai (1986).
- Theory of a Real Variable and Functional Analysis, (with S. Yan. Z. Wu and W. Su), Press Chinese Academy of Science, Beijing, (1980).
- Measures and Integration on Infinite-dimensional spaces, Science & Technology Press Shanghai (1965), Acad. Press, New York, London (1972).
- Theory of Functions of a Real Variable and Essentials of Functional Analysis, (with S. Yan and Z. Wu), Science & Technology Press Shanghai (1956).
- Xia's homepage at Vanderbilt University
- Homepage of Taizhou Culture Introduction of Taizhou Scholars - Xia Daoxing
- Xia's CV in the ChinaVitae
- Daoxing Xia: Books by Daoxing Xia
- Daoxing Xia
- Dauxing Xia at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Daoxing Xia's homepage at the Department of Mathematics, Vanderbilt University, including photo (English)
- Daoxing Xia's publications (English)
- Xia's profile in the website of Chinese Academy of Science (Branch of Shanghai) (Chinese)