|Daphnis hypothous, mounted adult|
|Daphnis hypothous, adult|
Daphnis hypothous (jade hawkmoth) is a moth of the family Sphingidae. It is known from Sri Lanka, southern and northern India, Nepal, Myanmar, southern China, Taiwan, Thailand, Malaysia, and Indonesia. It is a rare vagrant to the Western Palaearctic ecozone. During the last hundred years a number have been discovered within the Middle East and one was even found in Scotland late last century but this was probably imported as a pupa with cargo.
The wingspan is 86–120 mm. It is a very fast flyer and is attracted to both sweet-smelling flowers and light. It differs from Daphnis nerii in having the head and collar uniformly dark purplish-brown. Thorax and 1st two abdominal segments are dark green in color with a white fringe to the 1st segment. Other abdominal segments are dark olive-green in color with the streaks and spots as in D. nerii.
Wings are similar to D. nerii but very much darker on both dorsal and ventral side. A white spot is present at the apex of fore wing and at the end of cell of fore wing o ventral side.
Larva is green in color with yellow dots at sides. There is a dark dorsal line, a subdorsal purple-red band, edged with yellow on thoracic somites and a blue ocellus on 3rd somite. Horn is purplish brown with white tubercles. Before changing to pupa, the larva becomes blotched with dark red in color.
Larvae have been recorded feeding on Rubiaceae species, including Cinchona, Wendlandia and Uncaria species in India. Most instars are green with a brown backward curving tailhorn and a pair of white or red and yellow dorso-lateral stripes. Some instars have various coloured markings along the sides, including a blue eyespot on each side of the metathorax. The final instar is reddish brown.
- Daphnis hypothous hypothous (Indonesia including the Andaman Islands and Seram)
- Daphnis hypothous crameri Eitschberger & Melichar, 2010 (South-East Asia)
- "CATE Creating a Taxonomic eScience - Sphingidae". Cate-sphingidae.org. Archived from the original on 2012-10-26. Retrieved 2011-10-26.
- Pittaway AR; Kitching I. "Sphingidae of the Eastern Palaearctic". Tpittaway.tripod.com. Retrieved 2011-10-26.
- "Sphingidae of the Western Palaearctic". Tpittaway.tripod.com. Retrieved 2011-10-26.
- Hampson G. F. (1892). "The Fauna Of British India Including Ceylon And Burma Moths Vol-i". Digital Library of India. p. 558. Retrieved 4 July 2016.[permanent dead link]
- "Daphnis hypothous Cramer". The Moths of Borneo. Retrieved 6 July 2016.
- "Australian Insects". Lepidoptera.butterflyhouse.com.au. 2010-05-24. Archived from the original on 2011-08-18. Retrieved 2011-10-26.
- "Daphnis hypothous". Butterfly House. Retrieved 6 July 2016.
- Daphnis hypothous hypothous Sphingidae of the Eastern Palaearctic
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Daphnis hypothous.|
|This Macroglossini-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|