|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|• Official||Marathi, Konkani|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Dapoli is a town in Ratnagiri district, Maharashtra. It is 215 km (134 mi) from the state capital of Mumbai. Dapoli is also called as Camp Dapoli as British set their camps in Dapoli. Many high rank British officers' Graves are in this Town. Dapoli also has an old abandoned church from British times. Dapoli is home to one of the biggest Agricultural Universities in India Dr. Balasaheb Sawant Konkan Krishi Vidyapeeth. Dapoli is administered by the Dapoli Municipal Council.
Dapoli is separated from the Sahyadri range by the Khed taluka. Dapoli has a seaboard of 50 km (31 mi) which stretches from Burondi, Kelshi to Dabhol. The coastline differs little in its general characteristics from that of other parts of Konkan. It is densely covered by coconut farms. The principal rivers are Bharja in the north and Vashishthi in the south. A small river called Jog flows through Bandhtivare, Sarang and Tadil into the Arabian sea.
The town is located at an altitude of 800 ft (240 m). It is also called "Mini Mahabaleshwar" because of its cool climate throughout the year. It is 8 km (5.0 mi) from the Arabian Sea and acts as the main town (Taluka headquarters) for several small surrounding villages such as Agarvayangani, Anjarle, Mandivali, Sarang, Bandhtivare, Pangari, Dabhil, Bhopan, Harnai, Dabhol, On Navse, Unhavare/farare, Jalgaon, Gavhe, Gimhavane, Asud, Vanand, Kherdi, Karde (beach), Pichdoli, Visapur, Onanavase, Murud and Umberghar.
The town has a very old school, A. G. High School, named after the British Alfred Gadney. During the time of the English empire, Dapoli was a military camp for British soldiers. Dapoli is also the home of agricultural university Dr. Balasaheb Sawant Konkan Krishi Vidyapeeth.
Dapoli is considered the birthplace of Bharat Ratna Maharshi Annasaheb Karve, whose native village Murud is located 9 km from Dapoli and nowadays it has become most sought tourist destination in Dapoli taluka.
Wrangler Raghunath Purushottam Paranjpe whose birthplace is Murdi, about 25 km from Dapoli on another side of Anjarle creek. He was first Indian to pass mathematics wrangler examination of Cambridge University- UK. He has started primary school in his village Murdi and huge library in same village.
Sane Guruji, Bal Gangadhar Tilak whose native village is Palgad about 19 km from Dapoli on Dapoli- Mumbai road, Lokmanya Tilak]] a'sdnative village Chikhalgao is about 11 km from Dapoli Bharat Ratna P. V. Kane, and BHARAT RATNA Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar studied for a few years in A. G. High School. Also the '''Maata RamaBai Ambedkar's''' wife of Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar birthplace is Dapoli.
Places to stay & dine
Dapoli has various stay options like Surali Group of Hotels, Ferns Samali Resort and Lotus resort to various smaller resorts and homestays.
Comfort Inn Emerald, a 3 star boutique hotel situated 5 mins from the main market and ST bus stand. It houses 'Annapurna: pure veg' & 'Little China' restaurants, offering Punjabi, South Indian, and Chinese cuisines. Among the best and highly rated restaurants in the area and a must visit when you are in Dapoli.
Sea food in Dapoli is a must try and one should experience the buffet and fish preparations at Surali Garden Family restaurant.
Surali Garden – Truly professional outlet, ATITHI DEVO BHAV. Here caress of the cool gentle breeze, whispering of the birds, colorful garden scene & the symphony of silence playing all through the background with tasty Konkani, Tandoor & Chinese cuisines will leave an everlasting experience on your Heart & soul.It also has a Dhaba for a little laid back and relaxation.
Surali Sagar Beach Resort at Karde Beach is a Place to relax & spend time with your loving family or friends in a surrounding amidst nature which will give you a soothing experience remove all your anxiety and pressures and will feed you with lots of relaxation and leisure.
Places of interest
- Dabhol - Dabhol is a port which is 28 km (17 mi) south of Dapoli. The Dabhol Power Plant by Enron is situated near Dabhol. The plant has now been taken over by Ratnagiri Gas and Power Private Limited (RGPPL). The power station is India's largest operating gas-based combined cycle power station.
- Harnai Fish Market - This is assumed to be one of the largest supplier of fish to Maharashtra. Many kinds of seafood including lobsters and prawns are available.
Harnai Light House, Harnai Fort and Fort in middle of sea
- Kadyavarcha Ganpati - Anjarle is famous for the Kadyawarcha Ganpati (Ganesh temple situated on a cliff). This ancient and magnificent Ganesh temple was originally constructed using wooden pillars in around 1150 AD. It was renovated during the period between 1768 and 1780. There is a magnificent view of the thick plantation of coconut trees, betel nut trees, Suvarnadurg Fort, blue sea and surrounding hills from the top.
- Keshavraj - This location is between Dapoli and Asud Pul. The access is via Dabkewadi and after crossing the small river, the steep climb is refreshing. At this elevation, the fresh water is a marvel and is said to originate from a tree trunk.
- Murud Beach - Murud is a small town on the sea coast, about 12 km (7.5 mi) from Dapoli.
- Panhalakaji Caves - Located on the Dapoli-Dabhil Pangari road, Panhalakaji Caves can be accessed from Khed via Vakavali and Tetavali. The place is situated deep in the valley near the confluence of the Kotjai and Dhakti rivers. There are around 29 leni or caves.
- Suvarnadurg and Kanakdurg Forts - Located 17 km (11 mi) from Dapoli at Harnai, the Suvarnadurg fort consists of two forts. Kanakdurga is the land fort and Suvarnadurga is the sea fort. The forts were originally built by the Adil Shahi dynasty and later captured and fortified by Shivaji in 1660.
- Unhavare/farare - Hot Water Springs - There are natural hot water springs at Unhavare Village 35 km (22 mi) from Dapoli. Around 21 km (13 mi) from Vakavali and 17 km (11 mi) from Tetavali's is Dr. Deodhar's farms (called Keshav Baug). Dr Deodhar is an expert in algae from Mumbai University. People from surrounding areas come here regularly to dip in the hot sulphur water springs, said to cure skin ailments.
- Shri Vimaleshwar Shiv Temple- Murdi - It is located at village Murdi near Anjarle, just 1 km from Kadyavarach Ganapati. The temple is about 1200 years old and have strong building. The temple has still strong building and huge follower community.
- "District Census Handbook" (PDF). Census of India. p. 44. Retrieved 16 April 2016.
- Dapoli sets example by shunning plastic - The Times of India on Mobile http://timesofindia.com/city/pune/Dapoli-sets-example-by-shunning-plastic/articleshow/14221597.cms
- Dapoli travel guide from Wikivoyage