|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2010)|
|Look up Dara in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
Dara is a name with more than one origin.
Dara , also known as Gbaya-Dara, is a Central Sudan language of South Sudan. It is one of the Kresh Languages. Though it is commonly called Gbaya, it is not one of the Abaya languages, which are in the Ubangian family.
Dara is a gotra (clan) of certain jats found in India. Members of the Dara gotra are found mainly in Rajasthan (Majority), and Haryana in India.
- It is found in the Bible's Old Testament Books of Chronicles. Dara was a biblical descendant of Judah known for his wisdom. (The Bible. 1 Chronicles 2:6).
- In Urdu, Dara is Darius.
- In Khmer, Thai and Lao, Dara is a male or female name meaning "star".
- In Hebrew Dara means compassion or pearl of wisdom.
- In Punjabi, Dara means "leader".
- In Persian Dara (Persian: دارا) means "wealthy" and is a boy's name. Dara means "Prosperous" or "Wealthy" in Persian. It is also the name of a male doll, and Dara and Sara are sold as "Iran's alternative to Ken and Barbie".
- In the Swahili version Dara means "the beautiful one".
- In Irish Dara means "oak". Dara is also frequently used in Ireland (and the United States), as either a male or a female given name, and it also occurs as a surname. The spelling varies, with variations including Daire and Darragh. The Irish form is probably derived from doire, the Irish word for "oak tree", though as a surname it may be a version of the Irish name Mac Dubhdara. In Irish and Scottish Gaelic, dara means "second". It is also used in Scotland as an abbreviation for "Dragon Killer."
- In Persian Darius (Persian: داریوش) is a boy's name. It stems from the ancient Persian "daar", meaning tree. Darius the Great is the most famous ruler with this name.
- In Indonesian, Dara means "girl", "young woman", or "virgin".
- In Javanese, Dara (in which the letters A are pronounced /ɔ/ by the majority of the speakers, slightly like the pronunciation of the letter å in Danish and Norwegian) means "dove" or "pigeon".
- Dara is a female name in Bulgaria and Macedonia. Its meaning directly derives from "dar", which means "gift" both in Bulgarian and Macedonian. This name stems from the more common male name Bojidar (or Bozhidar), and its female version Bojidara (or Bozhidara), both meaning "Gift of God".
- Dara is also a short form of Oluwadarasimi or Oluwadara, which in Yoruba means "God is good". The name is used for both boys and girls.
- In the United States Dara can be a male or female given name.
- In Meranau Dara is a Blood.
- In ancient Sumerian language, Babylonian-Akkadian Cuneiform Tablet writing Dara means "blood" 
- In Gujarati Dara means "every one" 
- In Sikh, Dara is a boys name means "Lord", "God"
- Dara is a Muslim name for baby boy and meaning is "Possessor" or "sovereign" and "Halo"(of the moon)
- The word "Odara" derives from the Brazilian indigineous Ioruba word dara, meaning "gorgeous."
- In African-American, the name Dara means - Of Bermudian origin, meaning "beautiful".
- In Parsi , Dara means "Bell" or "Pendant"
- Dara, Mesopotamia was a Byzantine fortress town in modern Mardin Province, Turkey.
- Dara is a variant spelling of Daraa, Syria.
- Ain Dara, Lebanon is known for the Battle of Ain Darra.
- Sumerian God Enki was also known as "Dara-Mah" 
- Muslim Barbie and Ken dolls created by Iranian government
- Secrets of the Sumerian Language 2012