|Directed by||Bipin Nadkarni|
|Produced by||Bipin Nadkarni |
|Written by||Bipin Nadkarni |
|Based on||Short story by Rabindra Nath Tagore|
|Starring||Sharib Hashmi |
|Narrated by||Annu Kapoor|
|Music by||Songs: |
Amartya Bobo Rahut
Raajeev V. Arjith singhBhalla
|Edited by||Jayant Jathar |
Opticus Picture Company
Darbaan (Guard) is a 2020 Indian Hindi drama film directed and produced by Bipin Nadkarni under the banner of Opticus Picture Company with Yogesh Beldar as co-producer. This marks the debut of the director in Bollywood cinema. The film stars Sharib Hashmi, Sharad Kelkar, Rasika Dugal and Flora Saini.
Darbaan is an adaption of a 1918 short story Khokababur Pratyabartan written by Nobel Prize winner Rabindra Nath Tagore. The screenplay is about the friendship between a boy and his caretaker who come from different steps on the social and economic ladder.
- Sharib Hashmi as Raicharan (Raichu) aka Channa
- Sharad Kelkar as Anukul Tripathi (Anu)
- Rasika Dugal as Bhuri, Raicharan’s wife
- Flora Saini as Charul Tripathi, Anukul's wife
- Harsh Chhaya as Naren Tripathi, Anukul’s father
- Suneeta Sengupta as Sushma Tripathi, Anukul’s mother
- Mukesh Ramani as Shiv Dayal, Anukul's driver
- Varun Sharma as Siddhanth Tripathi aka Sidhu, Raicharan's adopted son; Anukul's biological son (Cameo)
- Annu Kapoor as Narrator
|Soundtrack album by |
Amartya Bobo Rahut and Raajeev V. Bhalla
|Released||23 November 2020|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|Label||Zee Music Company|
The soundtrack of the film is composed by Amartya Bobo Rahut and Raajeev V. Bhalla whereas lyrics are written by Manoj Yadav, Siddhant Kaushal and Akshay K. Saxena.
|1.||"Khushmizaaj"||Manoj Yadav||Arijit Singh, Amartya Bobo Rahut||3:50|
|2.||"Rang Bhariya"||Siddhant Kaushal||Gujraj Singh, Amrita Singh, Amartya Bobo Rahut||4:24|
|3.||"Dil Bandar"||Siddhant Kaushal||Tushar Joshi, Amartya Bobo Rahut||2:12|
|4.||"Behti Si" (Music by Raajeev V. Bhalla)||Akshay K. Saxena||Raajeev V. Bhalla, Rashi Harmalkar||3:42|
Anna M. M. Vetticad of Firstpost found the film 'bitter-sweet'. She praised the acting of Hashmi, Dugal and supporting cast and music of Amartya Bobo Rahut. She criticised the screenplay of Nadkarni co-written with Rakesh Jadhav for robbing the narrative of the film with 'substance and considerable sociological commentary'. Praising cinematographer Amalendu Chaudhary for 'striking shots across several locations', she rated it with two and half stars out of five. Vetticad concluded, "Darbaan is nice enough, but it lacks depth and width." Pradeep Kumar reviewing for The Hindu called it "simplistic take on servitude that feels out of place". Agreeing with Vetticad, Kumar also criticised the screenplay because he felt, "...story remains under explored". He also found the soundtrack "endearing". He concluded, "However, beyond his [Hashmi's] classy performance, Darbaan seems like a script better suited to the stage than the canvas of a cinema.".
- "National Award-winner Marathi director set for Bollywood debut". Outlook India. 15 February 2020. Retrieved 17 March 2020.
- "Sharib Hashmi, Sharad Kelkar to star in Darbaan". Cinema Express. Retrieved 17 March 2020.
- "Darbaan". Times of India. Retrieved 17 March 2020.
- "ZEE5 Announces Next Original Gilm 'Darbaan', Family Drama Based On A Story By Rabindranath Tagore". 10 November 2020.
- Yadav, Nitesh (11 March 2020). "Sharad Kelkar, Sharib Hashmi's Darbaan trailer leaves internet impressed". www.indiatvnews.com. Retrieved 19 March 2020.
- "Darbaan – Original Motion Picture Soundtrack". Jiosaavn.
- M. M. Vetticad, Anna (4 December 2020). "Darbaan movie review: Rabindranath Tagore revisited in Bollywood to bitter-sweet albeit insubstantial effect". Firstpost. Retrieved 4 December 2020.
- Kumar, Pradeep (4 December 2020). "'Darbaan' movie review: A heartwarming tale that doesn't scratch beyond the surface". The Hindu. Retrieved 4 December 2020.