Comics syndicate United Media agreed in 1999 to publish Conley's new strip Get Fuzzy about an anthropomorphic cat, Bucky, and dog, Satchel, living with their single young-male owner, Rob Wilco, which premiered on September 6, 1999 in 75 papers.
On October 30, 2003, the city of Pittsburgh served as the punch line of a strip about tourism destinations based on smells. Offended residents of the area deluged the author with negative feedback that included death threats.
- Turczyn, Coury (2002). "Let's Get Fuzzy". PopCult Magazine.
- "Division Awards: Newspaper Strip". National Cartoonists Society. Retrieved April 19, 2013.
- Fitzpatrick, Dan (November 18, 2003), "Comic strip apology to really isn't: 'Get Fuzzy' creator says Pittsburghers need to take a joke", Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
- "Pittsburgh Not Laughing At Smelly Joke - Travel News Story". KCRA Sacramento. 2003-11-05. Retrieved 2010-05-13.[dead link]
- "Letters to the Business Editor: 11/11/03". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. November 11, 2003.
- Voss, Gretchen (July 2005). "Head Games". Boston Magazine. Retrieved 2010-05-13.
- "Lobel Charges Libel". WGBH. May 20, 2005.