Conley was born in Concord, Massachusetts in 1970, and grew up in Knoxville, Tennessee.
While in high school in 1986, he won a student cartooning competition. During his Senior Year at Doyle High School (now South-Doyle High School) in Knoxville, Conley was voted 'Most Talented' by his graduating class. Conley was a member of Amherst College's a-cappella group, the Zumbyes.
Comics syndicate United Media agreed in 1999 to publish Conley's new strip Get Fuzzy about an anthropomorphic cat, Bucky, and dog, Satchel, living with their single young-male owner, Rob Wilco, which premiered on September 6, 1999. The idea for Bucky's character came from a friend's Siamese. Daily strips of Get Fuzzy ended in 2013 and were replaced by reruns; as of 2017 the Sunday strips are also in reruns.
On October 30, 2003, the city of Pittsburgh served as the punch line of a strip about tourism destinations based on smells. Offended residents of the area deluged the author with negative feedback that included death threats.
- "Darby Conley". Good Reads.
- "Alumni". The Zumbyes. Retrieved 2 October 2016.
- Price, Robert (July 29, 2016), "Sound Off: History is achieved, but no photo to document it?," Bakersfield. Retrieved September 20, 2016
- Turczyn, Coury (2002). "Let's Get Fuzzy". PopCult Magazine. Archived from the original on 2005-04-18.
- Ward, Alyson (April 7, 2017), "What happened to the 'Get Fuzzy' comic strip?," Houston. Retrieved August 20, 2017
- "Division Awards: Newspaper Strip". National Cartoonists Society. Retrieved April 19, 2013.
- Fitzpatrick, Dan (November 18, 2003), "Comic strip apology to really isn't: 'Get Fuzzy' creator says Pittsburghers need to take a joke", Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
- "Pittsburgh Not Laughing At Smelly Joke - Travel News Story". KCRA Sacramento. 2003-11-05. Archived from the original on December 4, 2008. Retrieved 2010-05-13.
- "Letters to the Business Editor: 11/11/03". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. November 11, 2003.
- Voss, Gretchen (July 2005). "Head Games". Boston Magazine. Archived from the original on 2010-08-20. Retrieved 2010-05-13.
- "Lobel Charges Libel". WGBH. May 20, 2005. Archived from the original on September 24, 2006.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Darby Conley|