Darcus Beese OBE (born 1969) is a British music executive who is the president of Island Records, where he signed several top musicians including Amy Winehouse and Jessie J. Beese, who has been described by Music Week as "one of the great A&R people of his or any other generation", relocated to New York City as president of Island Records USA, effective 1 July 2018.
Darcus Beese grew up in Fulham, London — the son of Barbara Beese and Darcus Howe — and has said: "The music in my household growing up was definitely a mixture of reggae, soul and calypso. My father was from Trinidad and my mother was of mixed heritage. So, yeah, my upbringing musically ranged from soca to reggae." Leaving school early, Beese worked in a hairdressing salon before eventually being employed in 1993 as a tea boy in the promotions department at Island Records, where he progressed upwards through various jobs, including A&R Director, and in 2008 co-president of the label, until in 2013 he became president of Island Records. Among his key signings have been Amy Winehouse, Jessie J, Taio Cruz, Florence & The Machine, Mumford & Sons, Dizzee Rascal, and Rizzle Kicks.
In May 2018 it was announced by Universal Music Group (UMG) that Beese was to become President of Island Records USA, taking over from David Massey, and relocating to New York. Describing Beese as someone who "has impeccable creative instincts and takes a long-term view of artist development", the Chairman and CEO of UMG, Sir Lucian Grainge, said: "Few in the music industry have Darcus’s track record of creative and commercial success.... I'm excited to support him in signing, developing and breaking many more artists."
- "Darcus Beese OBE | Honorary Fellow", Falmouth University, 2013.
- Sutherland, Mark (24 May 2018), "The Big Interview: Island Records' Darcus Beese", Music Week.
- Newman, Melinda (24 May 2018), "Darcus Beese Set to Start as U.S. President of Island Records on July 1", Billboard.
- Miles, Marianne (8 April 2017), "Forever Fearless: Darcus Howe – Rest in Paradise", The British Blacklist.
- Houghton, Ash, "Behind the Music: Darcus Beese OBE (Island Records)", SBTV.
- "OBE for Island Records boss who turned Amy Winehouse into a global star", Daily Express, 14 June 2014.
- Lindvall, Helienne (15 July 2012)l, "Island Records' Darcus Beese: You sign what makes you excited", The Guardian.
- NME News Desk (30 June 2015). "Amy Winehouse's ex-A&R man says 'Amy' should make people feel 'embarrassed' for 'murdering her'". NME. Retrieved 10 April 2017.
- Sullivan, Caroline (29 January 2015). "Down with Debrett's: an alternative guide to UK music's most influential". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 10 April 2017.
- "Darcus Beese Named President of Island Records", Universal Music Group, 24 May 2018.
- Music Business Worldwide, "Darcus Beese Named President of Island Records In New York", Music Business Worldwide, 24 May 2018.
- Halperin, Shirley, and Jem Aswad (24 April 2018). "Darcus Beese of Island Records U.K. to Take Helm at U.S. Label", Variety.
- "Island Records President Darcus Beese Awarded OBE", The Voice, 17 November 2014.
- Sutherland, Mark (13 September 2016), "The Big Interview: Island Records' Darcus Beese", Music Week.
- "Island President Darcus Beese wins European Executive Of The Year", Island Records, 21 September 2016.
- Fullerton, Jamie (26 May 2011). "Adele named most powerful person in music by The Guardian". NME. Retrieved 10 April 2017.
- Mark Sutherland, "The Big Interview: Island Records' Darcus Beese", Music Week, 13 September 2016.
- Ash Houghton, "Behind the Music: Darcus Beese OBE (Island Records)", SBTV.