|Darey a.k.a. Dare Art Alade|
|Birth name||Dare Art Alade|
|Origin||Lagos, Lagos State, Nigeria|
|Genres||R&B, jazz, blues|
|Associated acts||2face Idibia, 9ice, Naeto C, GT da Guitarman|
Dare Art Alade – popularly known as Darey – is a Nigerian multi-platinum selling and award-winning musician, singer-songwriter, and Idol series judge. He is the son of the renowned Nigerian entertainer, Art Alade.
- 1 Biography
- 2 Career
- 3 Charity and Business
- 4 Discography
- 5 Awards
- 6 See also
- 7 References
- 8 External links
Dare (pronounced Da-Ray) Art Alade was born in Lagos to legendary Nigerian Jazz pioneer Art Alade and Olapeju Alade. Dare, as a child, used to rummage through his father's extensive jazz collection and tag along with him to his concerts. These early experiences gave him his first taste of 'showbiz'.
Dare honed his skills at an early age, singing with several choirs, including the National Troupe of Nigeria Choir and then the Cathedral Choir. From the age 15, he began performing extensively in clubs around Lagos, Ibadan and other cities in Nigeria. It was during one of those late night sessions he met an executive at Cool FM, a major Radio station, who appreciated his voice, and his ability to interact with his audience. The determined teenager began shuttling between Cool FM and the University of Lagos where he was studying for a degree in Music, and sang with the a cappella group The Chordwebs. During his time at Cool FM, he had the opportunity to acquire the basic knowledge of radio production and marketing.
Darey has over almost the past decade been a disc jockey, TV presenter, entertainment consultant, voice over artist and performing/recording artist. He has also hosted a lot of notable events and awards.
2004–06: Project Fame
Darey's big break finally came during the 2004 edition of Project Fame Academy, a well renowned Reality TV show and continent-wide talent hunt and emerged third in the contest.
2006–07: From Me 2 U
After an unfruitful record deal with Sony BMG Africa, his debut album 'From Me 2 U' hit the Nigerian market two years later on Storm Records. The album was laced with several hit singles, including 'Fuji' and 'Escalade' which enjoyed massive airplay in the Nigerian and international media. The top selling album also included the song, 'Original Naija' which was used as the theme song for the first ever edition of Big Brother Nigeria. Darey's album, 'From Me 2 U' won several awards including the Awards for Musical excellence in Nigeria (A.M.E.N) and the 2006 Channel O Music Video Awards for best R&B Video in Africa.
2008: Project Fame West Africa
In 2008, Darey spent several months as the host of a music based reality show 'Project Fame West Africa' from where he first hit continental fame in the South Africa edition in 2004.
Two years after the release of his successful debut album, Darey released his highly anticipated follow up entitled 'unDAREYted', on the new start up label, Soul Muzik. The album sold over 150,000 copies across Nigeria in just two months. The album features appearances by Darey's contemporaries and friends: Cobhams Asuquo (Aṣa's producer), 2face Idibia, Naeto C, 9ice, Tee-Y Mix and the up-and-coming R&B crooner, Pheel, to mention a few. The critically acclaimed work features the smash hit ballad "Not The Girl," which has been nominated for several awards and won video of the year at the 2009 Nigerian Entertainment Awards held in Washington DC.
unDAREYted caught the attention of the African American Music business legend Dick Griffey, who is credited with discovering and influencing the music careers of artists such as Shalamar, The Whispers, Babyface, L.A. Reid and Dr. Dre. Dick Griffey offered to executive-produce Darey's third album which was to break Darey further into the U.S and international markets but unfortunately he died before the project could be completed.
2010–2015: Double Dare
In 2010, Darey performed at high-profile shows in many cities across the World including Nairobi, Johannesburg, Abuja, Lagos and other major African cities, including a special concert with R&B legend R. Kelly in South Africa and the This Day Peace Concert Tour in the Niger Delta region of Nigeria, which had 50 Cent and Ciara as headliners. On request of the President of Nigeria, Goodluck Ebele Jonathan, he was invited to perform at the presidential villa in an exclusive dinner to commemorate the Country's 50th independence Anniversary. At the event, which was broadcast live to over 200 million viewers across the world, he performed a medley of 50 songs with his 15-piece band, "Soul band" to a room filled with several African presidents and past world leaders.
Darey was the main host of both the Gulder Ultimate Search and Glo Naija Sings reality shows in 2011 and in February 2013, put together alongside his Soul Muzik team one of the biggest shows Nigeria has ever seen, Darey Presents: Love Like A Movie in February 2013 which had the red carpet hosted by Kim Kardashian as well as the highly successful release of the music video, "Asiko" featuring Jozi and Ice Prince.
In May 2013 Darey released a new single, Special Fever, produced by internationally acclaimed producer Harmony. In June 2013, hosted the launch of media mogul Mo Abudu's multi-broadcast network Ebony Life TV alongside Dolapo Oni and most recently signed on as an ambassador to Unilever's popular beverage drink – Lipton.
2015 - Present: "Naked"
October 2015, Darey released his fifth studio album titled Naked. The 13-track album made up of afrobeat, soul and R&B features collaborations with Asa, YBNL Nation rapper Olamide and multiple Grammy award-winning Soweto Gospel Choir. Ten of the thirteen songs on the album were produced by Oscar Heman-Ackah. There are also production contributions from Cobhams Asuquo and Vtek and Dare himself.
Charity and Business
As a philanthropist and humanitarian, Darey supports several causes close to his heart including Cancer charities, Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) and several foundations in Africa. He also set up the Art Foundation, whose main goal is to keep music education alive for kids in primary and secondary schools in Africa.
Apart from his accomplishments as a recording artist, music producer, TV/Radio personality and Master of ceremonies, Darey is also an accomplished businessman and philanthropist with backbone support from Livespot; an event production, digital agency and media company where Darey serves as a Chief-Creative Director.
Darey Presents: Love Like A Movie
Love Like A Movie is a theatrical concert for valentine, produced with style as an exhibition of performance varieties. At its core, the project uses the interpretation of powerful emotions, music, traditionally inspired dance/acrobatic performances, lights, moving images and customized sets interwoven into a single production to express the values of love and humanity in modern Nigeria, with the sole purpose of creating a magical experience that stays with the audience for a lifetime.
The show features music and collaborative performances between Darey, celebrated artists around Nigeria, the international scene and an extreme theatre group with electrifying, choreographed aerial manoeuvres designed to keep guests on the edge of their seats. The event also features original compositions, produced exclusively for the project and drenched in state-of-the-art performances that fuse organic emotions with technology to create ART; the art of being in-love.
The first edition of the show was held in 2013. The show was tagged "The Flight of Love" and featured a special appearance from American reality TV star; Kim Kardashian.
The second edition of Love Like A Movie was held in 2014. The show which was tagged "The Love Rollercoaster" and explored the different shades of love from a musical point of view. The headlining the concert alongside Darey was multiple award-winning American singer and actress Kelly Rowland. Also featured were amazing performances from Zaina, Tiwa Savage, Muna, Eva, JJC, Lamboghiny, Timi Dakolo, Mo Eazy and Chioma.
The third edition of Love Like A Movie was held in 2016. Tagged "Naked - The Revolution" the show had a futuristic dance party theme and used dynamic lasers, symphonic lights, sound and high energy performances to tell the great story of Love. The show also featured performances from Grammy award-winning American singer, songwriter, record producer, dancer, actress and fashion model Ciara and some of Nigeria's best music and dance performers.
- From Me 2 U (2006)
- unDAREYted (2009)
- DoubleDare (2011)
- Naked (2015)
- Escalade (2006)
- Fuji (2006)
- With This Woman (2008)
- Carry Dey Go (featuring 2Face Idibia) (2008)
- Not The Girl (2008)
- More (2009)
- No Stars (2009)
- Let You Know (2009)
- Style Na Style Remix ft. 9ice, Password & Jesse Jagz (2009)
- Stroke Me (2009)
- The Way You Are (2010)
- Don't Let Me Know (2010)
- Ba Ni Ki Di (2010)
- Sisi Eko (2010)
- The Way You Are (Remix) ft Chamillionaire (2011)
- Special Fever (2013)
- Asiko Laiye (Remix) ft Olamide (2015)
- Pray For Me ft Soweto Gospel Choir (2015)
- Best Male Video "Not The Girl" (2009 Channel O Music Video Awards)
- Best R&B Video "Not The Girl" (2009 Channel O Music Video Awards)
- Best R&B "Not The Girl" (2009 Nigerian Music Video Awards)
- Best Use of Costume "More" (2009 Nigerian Music Video Awards)
- Video of the Year "More" (2009 Nigerian Music Video Awards)
- Best Music Video of the Year "Not The Girl" (2009 Nigeria Entertainment Awards)
- Best R&B Video "Escalade" (2006 Channel O Music Video Awards)
- Best Picture / Musical Video "Escalade" (Awards for Musical excellence in Nigeria (A.M.E.N))
- Recording of the Year "The Way You Are" (The Headies 2011)
- Best R&B Single of the Year "The Way You Are" (The Headies 2011)
- Best Male Artiste: Inspirational "Pray For Me" (All Africa Music Award 2015)
- Best R&B (2009 MTV Music Video Awards)
- Best R&B Song "Escalade" (2007 Awards for Musical excellence in Nigeria (A.M.E.N)) 
- Best R&B Album "From Me 2 U" (Awards for Musical excellence in Nigeria (A.M.E.N)) 
- Best Single Recording "Not The Girl" (2009 Hip Hop World Awards) 
- Best Vocal Performance – Male "Not The Girl" (2009 Hip Hop World Awards)
- Best Afro Pop Video "Ba Ni Ki Di" (2011 Nigerian Music Video Awards)
- Best RnB Video "The Way You Are" (2011 Nigerian Music Video Awards)
- Video of the year "The Way You Are" (2011 Nigerian Music Video Awards)
- Best Use of Costumes "Ba Ni Ki Di" (2011 Nigerian Music Video Awards)
- Artist of the Year (The Headies 2011)
- Best R&B Pop Album – Double Dare (2011 The Headies)
- Best Vocal Performance (2011 The Headies)
- MostStylish Artist – Male (FAB Awards 2012)
- Best Use of Costumes "Sisi Eko" (2012 Nigerian Music Video Awards)
- Best Highlife "Sisi Eko" (2012 Nigerian Music Video Awards)
- Music Video of the Year "Sisi Eko" (2013 Nigerian Entertainment Awards)
- Best Male Artiste: Inspirational "Pray For Me" (2015 Africa Music Awards)
- "All About Dare". Artofdare.tripod.com. Retrieved 2014-03-20.
- Linda Ikeji (11 July 2007). "Welcome to Linda Ikeji's Blog: AMEN 2007 Nominees and Winners". Lindaikeji.blogspot.com. Retrieved 2014-03-20.
- "Channel O Award nominees released". Bizcommunity.com. Retrieved 2014-03-20.
- Author Name. "Chips Off The Old Blocks: Nigerian Entertainers Who Took After Their Fathers". The Street Journal. Retrieved 2014-03-20.
- "Nigerian Entertainement [sic] Awards (N.E.A) Winners & Pics". Jaguda.com. Retrieved 2014-03-20.
- "Darey's Love Like A Movie Concert Records Large Guest Appearance – www.channelstv.com". Channelstv.com. 18 February 2013. Retrieved 2014-03-20.
- "Kim Kardashian Arrives Lagos for Dare Art Alade's "Love Like A Movie" Concert – Photos". Bella Naija. Retrieved 2014-03-20.
- "DAREY'S "ASIKO" TOPS THE MTV BASE OFFICIAL NAIJA TOP 10 CHART". Soul Muzik. Retrieved 2014-03-20.
- "FAB Event: Ebony Life TV Launch Highlights « FAB BLOG". Fabmagazineonline.com. Retrieved 2014-03-20.
- Akinloye, Dimeji (17 June 2013). "Darey Art-Alade Gets Lipton Endorsement". Hip Hop World Magazine. Retrieved 2014-03-20.
- New judges for Nigerian Idol season 4
- "Singer releases fifth studio album, "Naked" - www.pulse.ng". Pulse. 13 October 2015. Retrieved 2015-10-13.
- "BN Red Carpet Fab: Darey Art-Alade's "Love Like A Movie" Concert - www.bellanaija.com". Bella Naija. 26 February 2013. Retrieved 2013-02-26.
- "40 amazing photos from Darey's 'Love Like a Movie 2' concert - www.thenet.ng". The Netng. 17 February 2014. Retrieved 2014-02-17.
- "VIDEO: Highlights From Darey And Ciara's LLAM 3 - www.notjustok.com". Notjustok. 29 February 2016. Retrieved 2016-02-29.
- [dead link]
- "The Channel O Music Video Awards". Tvsa.co.za. Retrieved 2014-03-20.
- "Web Site Unavailable". Livebeats.net. Retrieved 2014-03-20.
- "Nigerian Music Video Awards 2009 Nominees – Keffi, MI, Darey & Mo-Hitts Dominate". Jaguda.com. Retrieved 2014-03-20.
- "Channel O Music Video Awards". Bella Naija. 23 October 2006. Retrieved 2014-03-20.
- "The 2011 Headies – 2Face Idibia, Wizkid, Dr SID, M.I, Darey, Ice Prince & Sir Shina Peters rule the Winners List!". Bella Naija. 23 October 2011. Retrieved 2014-03-20.
- "Bola Tinubu, former governor of Lagos state and the national leader of the All Progressives Congress (APC) joined Olamide, Darey Art Alade, Yemi Alade and other Nigerian acts as they won big at the All Africa Music Awards (AFRIMA)". TheCable.ng. 16 November 2015. Retrieved 2015-11-16.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 8 November 2009. Retrieved 2009-11-05.
- "HipHop World Awards 2009 Nominees Announced". Bella Naija. 12 March 2009. Retrieved 2014-03-20.
- "The 2011 Nigerian Music Video Awards (NMVA) …Darey & Jodie Receive The Most Nominations". 360Nobs.com. Retrieved 2014-03-20.
- "Jodie and Darey lead NMVA Nominations' List |". Ynaija.com. Retrieved 2014-03-20.
- Thursday, 4 August 2011 (4 August 2011). "THE HEADIES NOMINEES 2011". nigeriafilms.com. Retrieved 2014-03-22.
- PassionistaHub Team (16 November 2012). "– FAB AWARDS 2012: DAREY, TIFFANY AMBER, BEVERLY NAYA, DIMEJI ALARA, KINABUTI, BUNMI ADEMOKOYA, ONO BELLO, HAKEEM SALAAM, FRANK EDOHO AND OTHERS SET FOR SHOWDOWN". Passionistahub.com. Retrieved 2014-03-22.
- "Darey, Tiwa Savage, Chidinma, Others Lead The Pack for 2012 Nigerian Music Video Awards". Olori Supergal. Retrieved 2014-03-22.
- "Nominees for the 2013 Nigeria Entertainment Awards | View the Complete List ~ BEAVER". Beavers.com.ng. 5 June 2013. Retrieved 2014-03-22.