Daria Martin (born 1973) is a contemporary American artist and filmmaker based in London since 2002. Working primarily in 16mm film, her work has been exhibited at the Hammer Museum, The New Museum, the Museum of Contemporary Art, Chicago, and Australian Centre for Contemporary Art. Martin's 16mm films address the space between disparate states of being–levels of consciousness, the internal and the external, and the body, mind, and object–working to unravel viewer's learned habits of perception. Martin's films also often explore the differences and similarities between other artistic mediums including painting, performance, dance, and sculpture. Some subjects Martin's work touches on include dreams, feminism, sensation, mythology, and mirror-touch synesthesia.
Daria Martin was born in San Francisco, CA. Martin earned a BA in humanities from Yale University (1995), and an MFA from UCLA (2000). She is represented by Maureen Paley Gallery in London. Martin's artistic journey began with abstract paintings, which she describes as "formal and strict." She was drawn to film as she found it gave her the freedom to explore time, space and artistic mediums. Martin drew inspiration from a range of early twentieth-century artists and choreographers such as Oskar Schlemmer, Varvara Stepanova, Alexander Rodchenko. Her films are created organically, often taking on a collaborative process between the selected actors, choreographers and musicians she chooses to work with.
- In the Palace (2000)
- Birds (2001)
- Closeup Gallery (2003)
- Soft Materials (2004)
- Loneliness and the Modern Pentathlon (2004-2005)
- Wintergarden (2005)
- Harpstrings and Lava (2007)
- Minotaur (2008)
- One of the Things that Makes Me Doubt (2010-2011)
- Sensorium Tests (2012)
Awards and residencies
- 2016 Welcome Trust Arts Award, London Arts Council Grant for The Arts Oxford2014 AHRC Mid Career Fellowship London
- 2012 - Leverhulme Network Award, The Leverhulme Trust, London.
- 2010 - Wellcome Trust Arts Award, London.
- 2009 - Philip Leverhulme Prize, The Leverhume Trust, London.
- 2008 - Wellcome Trust Arts Award, London.
- 2008 - Artist in residence, Headlands Center for the Arts, San Francisco.
- 2007 - Artist in residence, The Watermill Center, New York.
- 2002 - Artist in residence, Delfina Studios Trust, London.
- 1999 - Artist in residence, Cite Internationale des Arts, Paris
- Skye Sherwin (15 March 2012), "Artist of the week 181: Daria Martin", The Guardian
- "Exhibition: "New Commissions Daria Martin: Minotaur"", archive.newmuseum.org, New Museum, January 28 – March 22, 2009
- "Daria Martin: One of The Things That Makes Me Doubt", accaonline.org.au, Australian Centre for Contemporary Art, 25 May – 28 July 2013
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-02-04. Retrieved 2014-02-01.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Stephanie Bunbury (May 30, 2012), "Connecting dreams and consciousness", The Age