|No. 30, 36, 37|
|Born:||February 29, 1980|
Toms River, New Jersey
|Height:||6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)|
|Weight:||255 lb (116 kg)|
|High school:||Toms River North (NJ)|
|* Offseason and/or practice squad member only|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics|
|Player stats at PFR|
Darian Durrell Barnes (born February 28, 1980) is a former American football fullback in the National Football League for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Dallas Cowboys, Miami Dolphins, New York Jets, Buffalo Bills, Detroit Lions and New Orleans Saints. He played college football at Hampton University.
Barnes attended Toms River High School North. As a senior, he only played in 8 games, registering 148 carries for 1,163 yards and 15 touchdowns. He received second-team All-state by The Star-Ledger and first-team all-county honors at the end of the season.
Barnes accepted a football scholarship from Rutgers University. He did not play in any game as a freshman. He tallied 20 carries for 50 yards as a sophomore. He sat out his junior season until transferring to Hampton University.
As a senior, he appeared in 10 games, posting 27 carries for 93 yards, one touchdown and one reception for 7 yards.
New York Giants
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
On September 2, 2002, he was claimed off waivers by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. He appeared in 6 games and was declared inactive in 10 contests, playing mainly on special teams (3 tackles) and being a part of the Super Bowl XXXVII winning team.
In 2004, he was acquired to complement Richie Anderson and be the team's blocking fullback for rookie running back Julius Jones. On August 24, 2005, he was waived injured (sprained ankle) and replaced with second-year player Lousaka Polite.
On October 24, 2005, he signed as a free agent with the Miami Dolphins to be the team's blocking fullback for running backs Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams. In 2006, he appeared in 16 games (6 starts), making 3 receptions for 22 yards.
New York Jets
On March 8, 2007, he was signed by the New York Jets to be the fullback for Thomas Jones, who was also his teammate with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. He appeared in 5 games (3 starts) and was declared inactive in 4 contests. He was released on November 29.
On January 17, 2008, the Buffalo Bills signed him as the first move for both Turk Schonert as offensive coordinator and Russ Brandon as Vice President. This marked the return of the fullback to the Bills' offensive system. He was released four games into the season on September 30, after suffering a sprained right foot against the Oakland Raiders on September 21. The Bills signed fullback Corey McIntyre to take his place on the roster.
New Orleans Saints
On November 18, 2008, he was signed by the New Orleans Saints to replace injured fullback Mike Karney, reuniting with Sean Payton who was his offensive coordinator with the Cowboys. He was waived on December 21. He was re-signed to a future contract following the end of the season. He was released on July 23, 2009.
Barnes created a comic book called "National Triumph League" along with a partner, which sees professional athletes blessed with superhuman talent. Barnes and his wife, Rebecca, have three daughters, Damara, Darren and Daylin.
In 2013, Barnes returned to his alma mater Toms River North as an assistant coach. In 2014, he was named the named interim head coach at Colts Neck High School. In January 2105, he was given the permanent head coach position. He resigned after the 2017 season came to a close, finishing with an 8-22 record.
- "Giants Seek Fullback To Replace Comella". Retrieved February 5, 2018.
- "Transactions". Retrieved February 5, 2018.
- "Bucs Claim FB Barnes, Release LB Smith". Retrieved February 5, 2018.
- "Cowboys Cut Six". Retrieved February 5, 2018.
- "Jets sign fullback Darian Barnes". Retrieved February 5, 2018.
- "Scouting Report: New York Jets". Retrieved February 5, 2018.
- "Bills replace fullback Barnes with McIntyre". Retrieved February 5, 2018.
- "Lions look at safeties; Moore cut". Retrieved February 5, 2018.
- "Lions re-sign Cason, release Middleton". Retrieved February 5, 2018.
- "Stecker placed on injured reserve, will miss rest of season". Retrieved February 5, 2018.
- "Jets' Barnes to have comic-book idea turned into animated series". Retrieved February 19, 2018.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2007-10-02. Retrieved 2008-08-14. Spider-Man, Make Room for Barnes' Superheroes
- "Former NFLer Darian Barnes takes charge at Colts Neck". Retrieved February 19, 2018.
- "Darian Barnes Steps Down At Colts Neck". Retrieved February 19, 2018.