Thompson in 2017
|No. 23 – Dallas Cowboys|
|Born:||September 22, 1993|
|Height:||6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)|
|Weight:||213 lb (97 kg)|
|NFL Draft:||2016 / Round: 3 / Pick: 71|
|* Offseason and/or practice squad member only|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of Week 2, 2019|
|Player stats at PFR|
As a receiver his senior year he set school records with 52 receptions for 953 yards and 13 touchdowns. Thompson was rated as a three-star recruit and committed to Boise State University to play college football.
After redshirting his first year at Boise State in 2011, Thompson appeared in all 13 games, with six starts, as a redshirt freshman in 2012. For the season he had 43 tackles and three interceptions.
As a sophomore in 2013, he started all 13 games and recorded 63 tackles and four interceptions.
During his senior year in 2015, Thompson tied Eric Weddle's Mountain West Conference record for career interceptions. Later in the same season, in a game against UNLV, Thompson recorded his 19th interception of his career breaking the mark set by Weddle.
Thompson attended the NFL Scouting Combine and completed all of the combine and positional drills. On March 31, 2016, Thompson participated at Boise State's Pro day and attempted to improve his performance in the 40-yard dash (4.58s), 20-yard dash (2.67s), and 10-yard dash (1.59s).
At the conclusion of the pre-draft process, Thompson was projected to be a second to fourth round pick by NFL draft experts and scouts. He was ranked as the third best free safety in the draft by DraftScout.com and was ranked the fifth best defensive back by Sports Illustrated.
|Darian Thompson's NFL Combine Workout|
|Darian Thompson's 40-yard dash|
|Ht||Wt||Arm length||Hand size||40-yard dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert jump||Broad||BP||Wonderlic|
|6 ft 2 in
|30 3⁄8 in
|9 1⁄8 in
|4.69 s||1.66 s||2.74 s||4.33 s||7.26 s||32.5 in
|9 ft 10 in
|All values from NFL Combine|
New York Giants
|Giants draft Thompson 71st overall|
|NFL Draft Profile: Darian Thompson|
He entered training camp competing with Nat Berhe and Mykkele Thompson for the vacant starting free safety position. Head coach Ben McAdoo named Thompson the backup free safety to begin the regular season, behind Nat Berhe.
He made his professional regular season debut in the New York Giants' season-opener at the Dallas Cowboys and made three combined tackles in their 20–19 victory. On September 18, 2016, Thompson earned his first career start after he surpassed Nat Berhe on the depth chart and was named the starting free safety. He made a season-high four solo tackles before exiting in the fourth quarter of the Giants' 16–13 win against the New Orleans Saints due to a foot injury. Defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo was impressed with Thompson's mastery of defensive schemes and his ability to get his teammates lined up correctly.
On November 9, 2016, the New York Giants placed Thompson on injured reserve after he missed six games (Weeks 3–9) due to his foot injury that required surgery. Thompson finished his rookie season in 2016 with seven combined tackles (six solo) in two games and one start.
Thompson entered training camp slated as the starting free safety. Head coach Ben McAdoo officially named Thompson the starting free safety to start the 2017 regular season, alongside strong safety Landon Collins. He started in the New York Giants' season-opener at the Dallas Cowboys and recorded three combined tackles during their 19–3 loss.
On October 8, 2017, Thompson collected a season-high 11 combined tackles (eight solo), two pass deflections, and made his first career interception during a 27–22 loss to the Los Angeles Chargers in Week 5. Thompson made the interception off a pass by Chargers' quarterback Philip Rivers, that was originally intended for wide receiver Keenan Allen, in the third quarter.
On December 4, 2017, the Giants fired head coach Ben McAdoo after they began the season with a 2–10 record. Defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo was named the interim head coach for the remainder of the season.
Thompson started in all 16 games in 2017 and recorded 75 combined tackles (61 solo), six pass deflections, and an interception. Pro Football Focus gave Thompson an overall grade of 52.2, which ranked 70th among all qualified safeties in 2017.
On October 9, 2018, Thompson was signed by the Dallas Cowboys off the Cardinals practice squad. He was waived on November 17, 2018, but re-signed three days later. He appeared in 10 games, playing only on special teams.
- "Yahoo Sports - Sports News, Scores, Fantasy Games".
- firstname.lastname@example.org, Nick Ruland --. "Boise State DB Darian Thompson Looking to Lead".
- email@example.com. "Thompson taking 2013 pass defense struggles personally".
- "Fiesta Bowl: Boise State's Darian Thompson getting noticed during postseason".
- firstname.lastname@example.org. "Thompson named CBSSports.com All-American".
- email@example.com, B.J. RAINS. "BRONCO NOTEBOOK: Thompson celebrates birth of daughter, MW record-tying 18th interception".
- Taylor, John (November 1, 2015). "The Fifth Quarter: Week 9 Rewind".
- "Darian Thompson, DS #3 FS, Boise State: 2016 NFL Draft". nfldraftscout.com. Retrieved January 7, 2017.
- "2016 NFL Draft Position Rankings". si.com. Retrieved July 30, 2018.
- Raanan, Jordan (April 30, 2016). "Why Darian Thompson could be a steal for Giants in 3rd round". NJ.com. Retrieved August 27, 2016.
- "NFL Events: Combine Player Profiles – Darian Thompson". NFL.com.
- "Spotrac.com: Darian Thompson contract". Spotrac.com. Retrieved July 30, 2018.
- "Ourlads.com: New York Giant's Depth Chart: 08/29/2016". ourlads.com. Retrieved January 7, 2017.
- "NFL Player Profile: Darian Thompson". NFL.com. Retrieved January 7, 2017.
- "Foot Injury Ends Season for Darian Thompson, Giants' Rookie Free Safety". nytimes.com. November 9, 2016. Retrieved July 30, 2018.
- Eisen, Michael (November 9, 2016). "Darian Thompson placed on IR; OL Adam Gettis signed". Giants.com.
- "NFL Player stats: Darian Thompson (career)". NFL.com. Retrieved July 30, 2018.
- Valentine, Ed (September 5, 2017). "Giants 2017 Depth Chart: Let's See What It Looks Like". bigblueview.com. Retrieved July 30, 2018.
- "NFL Game Center: Week 5-2017: Los Angeles Chargers @ New York Giants". NFL.com. Retrieved July 30, 2018.
- Patra, Kevin (December 4, 2017). "New York Giants fire coach Ben McAdoo after 2-10 start". nfl.com. Retrieved July 30, 2018.
- "Pro Football Focus: Darian Thompson". profootballfocus.com. Retrieved July 30, 2018.
- Eisen, Michael (September 1, 2018). "New York Giants announce 53-man roster". Giants.com.
- "Giants roster cuts 2018: S Darian Thompson waived/injured". BigBlueView.com. September 1, 2018.
- Urban, Darren (October 2, 2018). "Cardinals Sign Former Starter Darian Thompson For Practice Squad". AZCardinals.com.
- "Cowboys roster update: Dallas adding former Giants safety Darian Thompson". BloggingTheBoys.com. October 9, 2018.
- "Cowboys promote DL from practice squad, waive safety for Week 11". 247Sports.com. November 17, 2018.
- Gantt, Darin (March 7, 2019). "Cowboys bring back safety Darian Thompson". Pro Football Talk. NBC Sports.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Darian Thompson.|