Darigold corporate offices in Seattle
|Agricultural marketing cooperative|
|Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Northern California, Utah, and Hawaii|
Northwest Dairy Association (Formerly the Northwest Dairymen's Association; Trading as Darigold, Inc.) is an American dairy agricultural marketing cooperative. Headquartered in Seattle, Washington, it is owned by the nearly 500 dairy farm members of the association located in Washington, Oregon, Idaho, and Montana.
The cooperative was founded in 1918 as the United Dairymen's Association, and it bought the Consolidated Dairy Products Company in 1930. A contest among dairy families produced the cooperative's brand name, "Darigold" in 1920. In 1999 the cooperative, in an effort to improve its marketing position, changed its name to Northwest Dairy Association, while changing the corporate name to WestFarm Foods. In 2006 the corporate name returned to Darigold. In 2010 the cooperative merged with the Montana dairy cooperative Country Classic. The co-op's annual sales are over $2.0 billion, and production is over 8,600,000,000 pounds (3.9×109 kg) of milk a year.
In popular culture
Milkwalker, a company mascot used in the 1980s on milk cartons for a safety campaign, became an internet meme on platforms such as Tumblr and Twitter due to its creepy and somewhat unnerving nature.
- "Contact". Darigold. Retrieved 2 June 2019.
- Ferrendelli, Betta. Darigold milks its rich history for all it's worth. Puget Sound Business Journal. 25 June 1999.
- Business Wire (2006-07-11). "Darigold, Inc. Retires Its Name WestFarm Foods". Business Wire. Retrieved 2013-05-08.
- Associated Press (2010-08-10). "Darigold announces merger with Montana co-op". Magicvalley.com. Retrieved 2013-05-08.
- "NDA: About Us". Nwdairy.coop. 2010-07-30. Retrieved 2013-05-08.
- Hathaway, Jay (2016-12-10). "Rise of the Milkwalker: The internet is obsessed with this weird, old dairy mascot". The Daily Dot. Retrieved 2 June 2019.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Darigold.|
|This agriculture article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|