This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (June 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Born||June 21, 1963|
Marianelli was born in Pisa, Italy. He came from a musically inclined family and learned the piano at a young age, before moving into other musical instruments. He studied piano and composition in Florence and London. After a year as a postgraduate composer at the Guildhall School of Music, he took up a 3 year post-graduate program at the National Film and Television School in London, from which he graduated in 1997. During his time there, he undertook small projects, composing for concerts and theatre productions. Marianelli then received film projects such as Ailsa and Pandaemonium which caught the eye of director Joe Wright who would later contact Marianelli to score his 2005 film Pride & Prejudice. The duo would then go on to work on Wright's subsequent films which includes Atonement, The Soloist, Anna Karenina, and Darkest Hour.
In 2008, Marianelli won both the Academy Award for Original Music Score and Golden Globe Award for Best Original Score for his score on Atonement. His other Academy Award nominations are for Pride & Prejudice and Anna Karenina.
In a 2019 article concerning film composing, Marianelli said: "Writing music professionally is a hard occupation, and writing for media definitely not for the fainthearted. One has to be able to enjoy the pain, in order to be able to carry on successfully. I think one of the hardest things to deal with, working as a composer involved in media, is the anxiety that comes from being in quite a vulnerable position."
Awards and nominations
|Academy Award||2006||Best Original Score||Pride & Prejudice||Nominated|||
|BAFTA Award||2008||Anthony Asquith Award for Film Music||Atonement||Nominated|||
|Golden Globe Award||2008||Best Original Score - Motion Picture||Atonement||Won|||
|Satellite Awards||2007||Best Original Score||Atonement||Nominated|||
|World Soundtrack Awards||2006||Best Original Soundtrack of the Year||Pride & Prejudice||Nominated|||
|Soundtrack Composer of the Year||Pride & Prejudice||Nominated|||
|2008||Best Original Soundtrack of the Year||Atonement||Won|||
|Soundtrack Composer of the Year||Atonement||Nominated|||
|2013||Best Original Film Score of the Year||Anna Karenina||Nominated|||
- "Biography for Dario Marianelli". Turner Classic Movies. Retrieved Jan 23, 2019.
- Katz, Leslie (2008-09-12). "Vertu phones dripping in jewels mark a big birthday | Crave - CNET". News.cnet.com. Retrieved 2013-06-27.
- "Tips from Dario Marianelli to Film Composers". Film Scoring Tips.
- "70th Golden Globe Awards Nominations". Deadline.com. 2012-12-13. Retrieved 2013-06-27.
- "Dario Marianelli to Score 'The Boxtrolls'". Film Music Reporter. December 4, 2013. Retrieved February 12, 2014.
- "78th Academy Awards". Oscars. Retrieved Jan 23, 2019.
- "80th Academy Awards". Oscars. Retrieved Jan 23, 2019.
- "85th Academy Awards". Oscars. Retrieved Jan 23, 2019.
- "Music in 2008". BAFTA. Retrieved Jan 23, 2019.
- "Original Music in 2013". BAFTA. Retrieved Jan 23, 2019.
- "Original Music in 2018". BAFTA. Retrieved Jan 23, 2019.
- "Nominations - Dario Marianelli". Golden Globe Awards. Retrieved Jan 23, 2019.
- "2007 - Winners and Nominations". International Press Academy. Retrieved Jan 23, 2019.
- "2008 - Winners and Nominations". International Press Academy. Retrieved Jan 23, 2019.
- "2017 - Winners and Nominations". International Press Academy. Retrieved Jan 23, 2019.
- "Best Original Film Score of the Year". World Soundtrack Association. Retrieved Jan 23, 2019.
- "Film Composer of the Year". World Soundtrack Awards. Retrieved Jan 23, 2019.