Dark 'n' Stormy
|IBA official cocktail|
|Primary alcohol by volume|
|Served||On the rocks; poured over ice|
|Standard garnish||Lime wedge|
|Standard drinkware||Highball glass|
|Preparation||Fill glass with ice, add rum and top with ginger beer. Garnish with lime wedge.|
|Dark 'n' Stormy recipe at International Bartenders Association|
A Dark 'n' Stormy is a highball cocktail made with dark rum (the "dark") and ginger beer (the "stormy") served over ice and garnished with a slice of lime. Lime juice is also frequently added.
Trademark and litigation
In the United States, "Dark 'n' Stormy" has been a registered trademark of Gosling Brothers Ltd of Bermuda since 1991. Gosling's markets the drink through tie-ins to the sailing and sail racing community.
Gosling Brothers uses this registration to prohibit US marketing of a drink under the name "Dark 'N Stormy", or a related, confusing name, unless it is made with Gosling Black Seal rum. Gosling's has litigated or threatened litigation over the mark against Pernod Ricard, Proximo Spirits, Picaroons Traditional Ales, Infinium Spirits' Zaya, and a cocktail blog.
Gosling Brothers has registered a version of the name that uses one apostrophe ('N), while the International Bartender's Association uses two apostrophes ('N').
Because of Gosling Brothers' threats of litigation, some sources use other variations on the name to describe similar drinks, such as a "Safe Harbor".
Other trademarked cocktails include:
- "Dark 'N' Stormy". iba-world.com. International Bartenders Association. Retrieved 2017-07-06.
- "Dark and Stormy Drink Recipe". Esquire. 2015-02-01. Retrieved 2017-07-08.
- Dietsch, Michael (2014-10-06). Shrubs: An Old Fashioned Drink for Modern Times. The Countryman Press. ISBN 9781581576511.
- Sullivan, Gail (2015-09-16). "Rum Maker Says Rival Infringed Dark 'N Stormy Trademark". Law360. Retrieved 2017-07-06. (Subscription required (. ))
- Haglage, Abby (2015-09-22). "Will the Real Dark N' Stormy Please Stand Up?". The Daily Beast. Retrieved 2017-07-08.
- Miles, Jonathan (5 July 2009). "The Right Stuff (by Law)". New York Times. Retrieved August 1, 2014.
- "Gosling's Rums becomes an Official Partner of the 2017 America's Cup". 35th America's Cup. Retrieved 2017-07-08.
- Kluft, David (2015-12-09). "A Toast To 2015 Wine And Beer Trademark Disputes: Part 2 - Law360". Law360. Retrieved 2017-07-06.
- Volz, Michael (2015-11-17). "A Courtroom Cocktail: Gosling Brothers and a Dark, Stormy Message". Bevlog. Retrieved 2017-07-06.
|Wikibooks has a book on the topic of: Bartending/Cocktails/Dark and Stormy|