Darkwing Duck (Capcom)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
A mysterious crime wave has hit St. Canard and S.H.U.S.H. requires the services of the caped crime fighter Darkwing Duck to stop it as it appears that F.O.W.L. and their valued operative Steelbeak is behind the uprising. They have hired six of Darkwing's greatest foes to wreak havoc in different areas throughout St. Canard. Darkwing must subdue each of these criminals in order to find Steelbeak and save the city.
Darkwing Duck is a platformer with a couple of elements similar to Capcom's Mega Man video game series. The gameplay is based on typical platforming while using a Gas Gun to take down enemies. The player may choose from three different stages at the start of the game with another set of three becoming available after that. Once all six stages are clear, Darkwing proceeds to F.O.W.L.'s Floating Fortress for his final confrontation with Steel Beak. It is said that the game itself is actually running on a tweaked Mega Man 5 engine.
Darkwing begins with his standard Gas Gun but can collect different types of gas throughout each stage: Thunder, Heavy, and Arrow. Each special gas requires having ammunition and take up different amounts and function differently, but the player can only have one type of special gas at a time. Picking up a different type of special gas replaces the one Darkwing currently has. The player can freely switch between the special gas and the standard gas by hitting Select. Darkwing can also deflect certain projectiles with his cape by hitting Up on the control pad.
The game has been considered an example of the quality Disney games produced by Capcom. It has been noted that the game was intended for children, but became popular with older teens.
- Search:. "Darkwing Duck Release Information for NES". GameFAQs. Retrieved 2010-09-13.
- Search:. "Darkwing Duck Release Information for Game Boy". GameFAQs. Retrieved 2010-09-13.
- Makuch, Eddie (March 15, 2017). "Six Classic Disney Games Coming To PS4, Xbox One, And PC In New Compilation Pack". GameSpot. Retrieved March 15, 2017.
- Justin Ridenour (September 13, 2000). "GameFAQs: Disney's Darkwing Duck (NES) FAQ/Walkthrough by Rolent X". GameFAQs. Retrieved October 22, 2014.
- "Darkwing Duck - GameRankings (GB)". Retrieved November 12, 2015.
- "Nintendo Power Awards" (46). March 1993: 99. Retrieved November 12, 2015.
- Steven A. Schwartz; Janet Schwartz (1994). The Parent's Guide to Video Games.
Over the last few years, Capcom has produced a brilliant series of games based on Disney characters. Examples include Chip n Dale Rescue Rangers, DuckTales, and Darkwing Duck. Most of the Disney arcade games offer stunning graphics and animation, low levels of violence, and are delightful to play.