|Born||9 April 1991|
Concórdia, Santa Catarina, Brazil
|Height||1.88 m (6 ft 2 in)|
|Weight||140 kg (309 lb)|
|Sport||Track and field|
|Updated on 9 October 2015.|
Darlan Romani (born 9 April 1991 in Concórdia) is a Brazilian track and field athlete specialising in the shot put. He finished 5th at the 2016 Olympic Games, 4th at the 2019 World Championships, and was champion of the 2019 Pan American Games.
Professional athletics career
Darlan has the Brazilian shot put record since 2012. Since then, he broke the record so often that even he knows exactly how many national records he beat. He was surpassing the mark again and again in early 2015 when he reached 20.90m.
He is the first Brazilian to qualify to the Shot Put at Olympics in 80 years - Antonio Pereira Lira was the last who did it, at the Berlin Games, in 1936.
At the 2016 Summer Olympics, in the Men's shot put, he broke the Brazilian record two times (20.94 meters in the qualifying round and 21.02 meters in the final), finishing 5th. It was the best participation of a Brazilian in the event.
In March 2018, he finished 4th place in the Indoor World Championship, with a 21.37 mark, a new indoor South American record.
On September 15, 2018 became the first South American to reach the mark of 22 m. In the Brazil Trophy, he got the exact mark of 22.00, again breaking the South American record. Fewer than 30 athletes have achieved this mark throughout the history of the event.
At the end of 2018, he won the trophy for Best Athlete in Athletics at the Brazil Olympic Award. He finished 5th in the world ranking of Shot Put in 2018.
In June 2019, at the Eugene stage of Diamond League, he obtained the 10th best mark (by athlete) of the History in the Shot Put, 22.61. He broke the South American record 3 times in the same event (22.46, 22.55 and 22.61). This would have given him gold in any Olympics or World Championships already held.
At the 2019 Pan American Games held in Lima, Peru, even though he had a throat infection that left him with a severe fever the day before the race, he won the gold medal, beating the Pan American Games record, with the mark of 22.07 m.
In the Diamond League 2019, he finished as runner-up overall.
At the 2019 World Athletics Championships held in Doha, Qatar, the greatest and strongest competition of all time in the Shot Put was held. Tom Walsh threw 22.90m on the first try. Romani threw 22.53m on his second attempt, which put him in second place at that moment. American Ryan Crouser threw 22.71m on his fourth attempt, putting Romani back to 3rd place. On their last puts, the American Joe Kovacs threw 22.91m, and Crouser got 22.90m, both finishing with gold and silver, with Walsh finishing with the bronze. Romani finished in 4th place, the only one who put over 22 m along with the 3 medalists. It was the best result for Brazil in World Championships in this competition. Since 1990 no one had thrown the weight over 22.80m, and the top four places in this competition (including Romani) broke the World Championship record of 22.23m.
Romani had several complications to train in 2020 and 2021: he and his family got COVID. Darlan lost 10kg in 14 days. Because his training center was closed in 2020, he had to improvise on the ground next to his house. Without proper training equipment, in early 2021 pain from a herniated disc forced Darlan to take a break for 45 days of rehabilitation.  Romani overcame these adversities and qualified for the Olympics. Taking part in the 2020 Olympic Games in Tokyo, Romani calmly qualified for the final with the mark of 21.31. 
- Shot put (outdoor): 22.61 m – Palo Alto, California, USA, 30 June 2019
- Shot put (indoor): 21.37 m – Birmingham, United Kingdom, 3 March 2018
- Darlan Romani at World Athletics
- A Equipe - Atletas Masculino - Perfil - Darlan Romani (in Portuguese), Clube de Atletismo BM&F Bovespa, retrieved May 5, 2014
- Biografía - General - ROMANI Darlan - Brasil (in Spanish), retrieved May 5, 2014
- Com só um arremesso, Darlan bate recorde brasileiro e vai à final em 3º
- Darlan hits again the national record and closes fifth in Shot Put
- Darlan scores record, but finishes 4th in the Indoor World Championship
- Darlan and Vitória win and help the Americas in the Continental Cup
- Historic! Darlan Romani hits South American record and reaches 22m barrier
- Darlan receives the Best Athletics Award in 2018
- Darlan Romani makes history, beats South American record 3 times and wins the Diamond League
- Romani easily wins the Pan American Games and wins gold
- Romani gets silver in Belgium and finished runner-up at Diamond League 2019
- Covid, lesão e quebra de recorde: os obstáculos de Darlan Romani às vésperas das Olimpíadas
- Darlan Romani se emociona após vaga na final em Tóquio: "Vamos atrás desse sonho"
- 21.89m was his best result in the event. In the final throw, which gave him the first place, Romani did 21.68m