|Birth name||Darlene Koldenhoven|
October 9, 1950 |
Chicago, Illinois, United States
|Occupation(s)||Soprano, pianist, songwriter, arranger, composer|
Darlene Koldenhoven (born October 9, 1950 in Chicago) is an American soprano, pianist, songwriter, arranger, composer, keyboardist, record producer, lyricist, author, actor, educational speaker, music industry consultant, and sonic therapist.
Darlene has a Grammy Award and three Grammy Nominations as lead soprano in Clare Fischer's 2+2. She is known globally as the featured soprano soloist in the PBS television special and DVD, "Yanni, Live at the Acropolis." Darlene has an MVP award from the Los Angeles Chapter of the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences (The GRAMMYS®) for "Best Studio Singer" for singing on thousand of movies, television shows, CDs, commercials, live shows and more. She has a Platinum album for her vocal work on Pink Floyd's "A Momentary Lapse of Reason." She is also known worldwide as the tambourine-waving choir nun in both "Sister Act" films with Whoopi Goldberg and off-camera as the production vocal coach, vocal contractor, and music director. Darlene has two Telley Awards for her song/video, "Love is an Action Word." Her albums have gone to #1 on the ZMR Radio Charts and have been voted by Broadcasters worldwide for Best Vocal Album 2007 "Infinite Voice," Best Holiday Album 2007 "Heavenly Peace," a Nomination for Best Vocal Album 2011 "Solitary Treasures," and a Nomination for Best Piano Album with Instrumentation 2014 "Tranquil Times."
- Tranquil Times (9/6/13) Winner IMA 2013 Independent Music Awards Best New Age Album. #1 on ZMR Radio Charts 3/14. Nominated Best Piano Album with Instrumentation by Broadcasters Worldwide in the ZMR Awards 2/15/2015. Darlene's first album of piano-based relaxing instrumental, all original music. In addition to radio & streaming, it also plays on The C.A.R.E. Channel network in hospitals and hospices nationwide.
- Solitary Treasures (10/10/11) ZMR Music Awards Nomination Best Vocal Album 2012 by Broadcasters Worldwide. "Lucid See" Nominated Best New Age Song by The Independent Music Awards 2011; debuted #5 on ZMR Radio Charts. Classical Pop
- Inspired by a True Story (6/28/11) Inspirational Mixed Genre
- Angel on Ivories (2/11/11) Finalist: The American Prize 2012 Best Art Song Vocalist - Professional. Seventeen Classical Art Songs from 1546-1958 sung and played on piano by Darlene.
- Infinite Voice (2007) #1 on the ZMR Radio Charts in 2007 and #2 in the Top 100 Airplay 2007. Winner Best Vocal Album 2007 voted by Broadcasters Worldwide. Classical crossover.
- Heavenly Peace (2000, 2007) Debuted #2 on the New Age Radio Charts 2000. Winner Best Holiday Album 2007 voted by Broadcasters Worldwide
- Free to Serve (1996) Contemporary Gospel CCM; commissioned by the Christian Reformed Church of North America. Includes Musicians of Sierra Leone Darlene recorded and worked with in West Africa and choirs from the US and Canada.
- Keys to the World (1993) Darlene's first album of original music; positive pop adult contemporary.
Koldenhoven released a comprehensive music education book with seven instructional CDs called "Tune Your Voice: Singing and Your Mind's Musical Ear," distributed by Alfred Music and endorsed by faculty from The Juilliard School, NYU, Berklee College of Music, Clairemont High San Diego and many more. As a member of the Society of Composers and Lyricists, she has presented several seminars on the voice and composing for the voice. She has presented seminars for the Nebraska Music Educators Association, National Association of Teachers of Singing (NATS), among other organizations. She tours in concert and with her workshops on the singing voice and on the power of music/sound in healing, focusing on the ear-brain-voice-body connection. Darlene is a certified NLP Practitioner and APP Practitioner/Provider.
She has served on the NARAS Board of Trustees for two terms, was a Los Angeles Chapter Second Vice President for one term, and Governor for six years, chairing several committees such as the Keyboard Symposiums and the Gospel Music Panel.
Koldenhoven has a professional children's choir known as The Young Vocal Artists of Los Angeles.
- Darlene Koldenhoven at AllMusic
- Darlene Koldenhoven at the Internet Movie Database
- Jamie Bonk: Conversation with Darlene Koldenhoven