|Died||July 18, 2019(aged 78)|
Darlene Tompkins (November 16, 1940 – July 18, 2019) was an American actress.
She was born in Chicago, Illinois. Her birth surname was 'Perfect', but her parents were divorced when she reached the age of five and she took the surname of her stepfather. Her family performed in plays and vaudeville, and she had an early goal to be a Hollywood actress. At the age of twelve she was mauled by a dog which left her very self-conscious. To help overcome her shyness, she was entered into a beauty contest by her mother. Her subsequent beauty pageant victories attracted some attention and she appeared in commercials.
Her first acting role was in Beyond the Time Barrier (1960). She then co-starred opposite Elvis Presley in Blue Hawaii (1961). She had a role in My Six Loves (1963) and played parts in several television shows.
Her career was interrupted by a marriage and the birth of two sons. She tried to resume acting again when the marriage ended in the mid-1970s, but by then she was in her thirties and had difficulty landing roles. Since then she worked as a stand-in and stuntwoman and remarried.
Tompkins died on July 18, 2019 following complications of a stroke and was taken off life support.
- Beyond the Time Barrier (1960)
- Sea Hunt (1961) - Episode 4x09: "Hot Tracer"
- Blue Hawaii (1961)
- My Six Loves (1963)
- Wendy and Me (1964) Episode 1x05: "George Burns While Rome Fiddles"
- "Darlene Tompkins". Glamour Girls of the Silver Screen. Retrieved 2009-04-09.
- Weaver, Tom (2002). Science fiction confidential: interviews with 23 monster stars and film makers. McFarland. p. 296. ISBN 0-7864-1175-9.
- Lisanti, Tom (2003). Drive-in dream girls: a galaxy of B-movie starlets of the sixties. McFarland. pp. 172–180. ISBN 0-7864-1575-4.
- "Elvis co-Star Darlene Tompkins (Blue Hawaii) dies at 78. She was on life support". The Life and Times of Hollywood. 2019-07-23. Retrieved 2019-07-24.
|This article about an American actor or actress is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|