Darlington Mowden Park Sharks
|Full name||Darlington Mowden Park Sharks Ladies Rugby Football Club|
|Ground(s)||The Darlington Arena|
Darlington Mowden Park Sharks Ladies Rugby Football Club is a women's rugby union club in Darlington, County Durham, England founded in 1996. They are the ladies team of Darlington Mowden Park R.F.C. and play in the Women's Premiership. They also play their home games at The Darlington Arena.
Darlington Mowden Park Sharks were founded in 1996 in Ripon. The club later moved to Thirsk, North Yorkshire where it was known as Thirsk RFC. The club then moved to Darlington in 2006 and became affiliated to Darlington Mowden Park and changed its name accordingly. In 2009, Darlington Mowden Park Sharks were promoted from Championship 1 North to the Women's Premiership after finishing top of the table. They then defeated Championship 1 South team, Bath Rugby Ladies in extra time in the playoffs in order to be promoted.
Darlingon Mowden Park Sharks Ladies used to play their home matches at Yiewsley Drive. In 2012, Darlington Mowden Park purchased The Darlington Arena after its previous tenants, association football club Darlington F.C. went out of business and its phoenix club, Darlington 1883 F.C. decided to play its home games outside Darlington. Darlington Mowden Park Sharks Ladies play their home games at The Darlington Arena alongside Darlington Mowden Park's men's team as well as their mini and junior teams. They started playing at The Darlington Arena in the 2013-14 season.
Darlington Mowden Park Sharks have provided players for the England women's national rugby union team. Katy Mclean, Tamara Taylor, Ruth Laybourn and Abbie Scott all played for Darlington Mowden Park Sharks before playing international rugby.
- "Scrum mothers do have ‘em". The Northern Echo. Retrieved 2014-02-28.[permanent dead link]
- "Darlington Mowden Park Sharks Ladies". RFU. 2013-08-22. Archived from the original on 2014-02-22. Retrieved 2014-02-28.
- "Darlington Mowden Park buys town's 27,500 seater stadium (From The Northern Echo)". The Northern Echo. 2012-12-05. Retrieved 2014-02-28.
- "Tamara Taylor". Sporting Champions. Retrieved 2014-02-28.
- This is Bath (2009-05-13). "Bath Rugby Ladies lose 15-10 to Darlington Mowden Park Sharks in RFUW Premiership play-off". Bath Chronicle. Retrieved 2014-02-28.
- "The local rugby club playing in a 25,000-seat stadium". BBC. Retrieved 2014-02-28.
- "Women's rugby Premiership preview". BT. Retrieved 2014-02-28.
- "Katy McLean to captain England Women against France". BBC. 2013-11-05. Retrieved 2014-02-28.