|16th Coordinating Minister for Economic Affairs of Indonesia|
12 August 2015
|Preceded by||Sofyan Djalil|
|14th Governor of Bank Indonesia|
1 September 2010 – 13 May 2013
|President||Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono|
|Succeeded by||Agus Martowardojo|
|Deputy Governor of Bank Indonesia|
27 July 2009 – 1 September 2010
|Preceded by||Miranda Goeltom|
|Succeeded by||Mirza Adityaswara|
December 21, 1948 |
Tapanuli, North Sumatra, Indonesia
|Alma mater||Universitas Indonesia (S.E.)
Paris-Sorbonne University (D.E.A., Ph.D.)
Darmin Nasution (born December 21, 1948) is an Indonesian economist and the current Indonesian Coordinating Minister for Economic Affairs. He was previously Governor of Bank of Indonesia, serving the role from 2010 to 2013 during Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono's administration.
Before taking up various positions within the Indonesian government, Nasution was a faculty member at the University of Indonesia School of Economics, where he was Deputy Chair of the Lembaga Penyelidikan Ekonomi dan Masyarakat (LPEM, or Institute for Economic and Social Research) from 1987, and Head of the LPEM from 1989.
Early life and education
Nasution was born on December 21, 1948 in Pasar Maga, North Sumatra to a Batak family. He graduated with Bachelor's degree in Economics from the University of Indonesia, in 1976, and received his Master's and Doctorate degrees in the same major from the University of Paris, France in 1986.
Ministry of Finance
Nasution served as Director General of for Financial Institutions in the Indonesian Ministry of Finance from 2000-2005. He was subsequently appointed chairman of Indonesia's Capital Market and Financial Institution Supervisory Agency in 2006 and was later transferred to the post of Director General of Taxation in the Ministry of Finance.
In July 2009 Nasution was appointed Senior Deputy Governor of Bank Indonesia. He was sworn into office on 27 July 2009. Nasution immediately became acting governor of Bank Indonesia because the previous governor, Boediono, had resigned several months earlier in May to run for election as Vice President of Indonesia as team mate of President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono.
Nasution was subsequently appointed as Governor of Bank Indonesia on September 1, 2010, after parliamentary hearings to consider his nomination as governor. He was succeeded as governor when Agus Martowardojo was appointed in May 2013.
Coordinating Economics Minister
- LPEM Home Page
- "Wuih, Kekayaan Darmin Nasution Rp 11 Miliar Lebih". kontan.co.id. Retrieved 2016-05-07.
- 'Darmin Nasution new Bapepam chief', The Jakarta Post, 30 March 2005.
- Presidential Decree No.57/P 2009, dated 17 July 2009.
- 'Darmin acting governor of BI', The Jakarta Post, 28 July 2009.
- In relation to the promulgation of Presidential Decree No. 38/P, 2009, on 19 May 2009 regarding the resignation of Boediono as governor of Bank Indonesia, as well as legislated by Act No. 23, 1999, concerning Bank Indonesia and amended by Act No. 6, 2009, the senior deputy governor, Darmin Nasution, took on the position of acting governor.
- In accordance with Presidential Decree No.95 / P of 2010 dated August 21, 2010.
- 'Darmin finally named BI governor', The Jakarta Post, 23 July 2010.
- "Indonesia's President Widodo reshuffles cabinet to boost slowing economy". Agence France-Presse. 12 August 2015.