|Third baseman / Outfielder|
|Born: June 2, 1962|
San Bernardino, California
|September 4, 1983, for the Seattle Mariners|
|Last MLB appearance|
|May 22, 1997, for the Colorado Rockies|
|Runs batted in||368|
On June 3, 1980, Coles was drafted by the Seattle Mariners in the first round (sixth pick) of the 1980 Major League Baseball Draft. He turned down both a baseball scholarship and a football scholarship to UCLA to sign with the Mariners.
In 2006, Coles was hired as the roving hitting instructor for the Washington Nationals organization. He was the manager of the Vermont Lake Monsters in 2007, and manager of the Class A Hagerstown Suns in 2008.
On October 10, 2013, Coles was selected to manage the Milwaukee Brewers Triple-A affiliate, the Nashville Sounds, after previously managing the organization's Double-A Huntsville Stars from 2012 to 2013. However, on November 25, the Detroit Tigers announced the hiring of Coles as assistant hitting coach.
On October 23, 2014, the Milwaukee Brewers announced Coles replaced Johnny Narron as the hitting coach.  He resigned after the 2018 season and became the hitting coach for the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- 1987 Topps baseball card # 411
- "Coles Named Triple-A Hitting Coach". vermontlakemonsters.com. November 19, 2008. Retrieved December 25, 2008.[dead link]
- Watson, Phil (October 10, 2013). "Milwaukee Brewers Tab Darnell Coles to Manage at Triple-A Nashville in 2014". Sports Media 101 Inc. Retrieved May 6, 2014.
- "Tigers name Coles assistant hitting coach". MLB.com. November 25, 2013.
- "Brewers bring back Coles to be hitting coach". MLB.com. October 23, 2014.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)
| Vermont Lake Monsters Manager
| Hagerstown Suns Manager
| Syracuse Chiefs Hitting Coach
| Huntsville Stars Manager
2012 - 2013
| Detroit Tigers Assistant Hitting Coach
| Milwaukee Brewers Hitting Coach
2015 – 2018
| Arizona Diamondbacks hitting coach