Darnytsia railway station
|Location||3 Pryvokzalna St., Kyiv|
|Platforms||1 bay platform + 2 island platforms (+3 island platforms under construction)|
|Connections||tram, marshrutka, metro (planned)|
|Parking||limited, under construction|
|Rebuilt||1953, expansion continuing from 2003|
Darnytsia railway station (Ukrainian: Станція "Дарниця", Stancija Darnytsia) is the largest Ukrainian Railways station (and the main freight station) of the Ukrainian capital Kyiv, located in the city's Left-bank Darnytsia area.
Built in the nineteenth century, the Darnytsia railway hub has grown into a gigantic railway center, expanding for more than 10 km along the main east-west route. Started in 2004, construction is under way at the new Darnytsia railway terminal complex. When finished, the station will serve long-distance passenger trains, house own station of the Kyiv metropolitan, a two-storey car parking, a tunnel for automobile and tram traffic. The complex is meant to become Kyiv's second long-distance terminal, easing the traffic tension in the main Kyiv Passenger railway station.
The Darnytsia hub comprises: several sorting yards, hump yard, commuter passenger terminal and two additional train stops, locomotive and railcar depots, Darnytsia Railcar Repair Factory railcar repair company, numerous industrial sidings.
On February 16, 2007, the renovated commuter train terminal (pair of mirroring opposite buildings) of the station opened to the public.
Currently, most long-distance trains pass through Darnytsia non-stop; none of them originates or terminates at the station. However, the ticket boxes in the commuter terminals sell tickets for all long-distance routes in Ukraine.
Interconnections with city transport
Besides the passenger terminal, Darnytsia train station also has it own locomotive and railcar depots. In addition to the east of Darnytsia railway hub is located Darnytsia Railcar Repair Factory (DVRZ) which is a major railcar repair factory of the Ukrzaliznytsia.
Darnytsia locomotive depot is specialized in maintaining and repair of ChME3 locomotives.
Prospects of future expansion
Since 2012, Ukrzaliznytsia gradually increases the number of long-distance passenger trains that stop for Darnytsia in order to relieve the Kyiv Passenger railway station and prevent some of the passenger flow from crossing the overloaded city bridges
- Kyiv Passenger railway station is Kyiv's main passenger station that serves vast majority of long-distance trains.
- "Darnytsia Railway Station is planned to be finished by 2008". uaPortal (in Ukrainian). November 5, 2006. Archived from the original on 2007-09-28.
- "The local commuter train terminal is opened within the capital". NTN (in Ukrainian). Archived from the original on 2007-02-19. Retrieved February 16, 2007.
- Для мешканців лівого берега столиці введена зупинка поїзда Київ - Донецьк на ст. Дарниця (in Ukrainian)
- Trainer for drivers of Hyundai Rotem electric trains installed at Darnytsia Station
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Darnytsia Railway Station.|
- Google maps - Satellite view of the Darnytsia passenger railway terminal
- Wikimapia Larger satellite view of the whole Darnytsia railway hub
- "The first passenger tunnel of the railway complex opens". 5 Kanal (in Ukrainian). August 1, 2006.[permanent dead link]