|Residence||Fond du Lac, Wisconsin|
|Alma mater||Bethany Lutheran College (1953) University of Wisconsin Medical School (MD, 1958)|
|Fields||Savant syndrome Autism spectrum disorder Hyperlexia|
Agnesian HealthCare St. Agnes Hospital Fond du Lac County Health Care Center Marian University University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee University of Wisconsin Medical SchoolWinnebago Mental Health
Darold A. Treffert (b. 1933) is a retired psychiatrist and current research director who specializes in the epidemiology of autism spectrum disorders and savant syndrome. He currently lives in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin. He is on the staff at Agnesian HealthCare and serves on the Board of Trustees of Marian University. Treffert was a clinical professor at the University of Wisconsin Medical School. He is also a clinical professor at University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee.
Treffert first attended Bethany Lutheran College where he focused on pre-medical courses and earned an associate in arts degree in 1953. He received his medical doctorate in 1958 from the University of Wisconsin Medical School. He interned in Eugene, Oregon and then completed a residency in psychiatry at University Hospitals (now University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics) in Madison, Wisconsin.
|Accidental Genius, Darold Treffert, 17:58, TEDx Fond du Lac|
In 1976, he held positions in the private practice of psychiatry, was executive director of the Fond du Lac County Health Care Center and the medical director of the Alcoholism Rehabilitation Unit of St. Agnes Hospital in Fond du Lac. From 1979 to 1980, Treffert was president of the State Medical Society of Wisconsin and from 1981 to 1987 was chair of its board of directors. He has also been the president of the Wisconsin Psychiatric Association and the American Association of Psychiatric Administrators. In 1995, he was appointed to the Wisconsin Medical Examining Board and in January 2002 was elected its chair.
Treffert maintains a website on autism, savant syndrome and related conditions hosted by the Wisconsin Medical Society. He currently holds a research director position at the Treffert Center, Agnesian HealthCare in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin.
He received awards from the Wisconsin Mental Health Association, the Office of Alcoholism and Drug Abuse of Wisconsin, and the Wisconsin Association for Marriage and Family Therapy.
Treffert has made appearances on 60 Minutes, CBS Evening News, The Phil Donahue Show, Discovery Channel, Larry King Live, the Newshour, The Oprah Winfrey Show, Today and in a number of documentaries.
- Extraordinary People: Understanding Savant Syndrome, iUniverse.com, 2000. ISBN 0-595-09239-X
- Islands of Genius: The Bountiful Mind of the Autistic, Acquired, and Sudden Savant. Jessica Kingsley Publishers, 2010. ISBN 978-1-84905-810-0
- About Darold Treffert.com, Retrieved 11 October 2012.
- "Accidental Genius". Treffert Center at Agnesian Healthcare. September 8, 2017. Retrieved December 5, 2017.
- "Dr. Darold Treffert Savant Syndrome Expert – Psychiatrist". Archived from the original on July 14, 2007. Retrieved 2009-12-22.
- Oops! When “Autism” Isn’t Autistic Disorder: Hyperlexia and Einstein Syndrome | MIND Guest Blog, Scientific American Blog Network