June 11, 1985 |
Westland, Michigan, United States
|Other names||The Detroit Superstar|
|Height||5 ft 8 in (1.73 m)|
|Weight||156 lb (71 kg; 11.1 st)|
|Reach||72.0 in (183 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Wayne, Michigan, United States|
|Team||Michigan Top Team|
|Rank||Taekwondo2nd degree black belt in|
|Wrestling||NCAA Division III Wrestler|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Daron Jae Cruickshank (born June 11, 1985) is an American mixed martial artist currently competing in the Lightweight division of the Ultimate Fighting Championship. A professional competitor since 2008, Cruickshank has also formerly competed for King of the Cage and was a competitor on The Ultimate Fighter: Live.
Originally from Westland, Michigan, Cruickshank began training in combat sports from a young age. Both of Cruickshank's parents are fourth degree black belts in Taekwondo who ran their own schools. Cruickshank's father is a former mixed martial artist with multiple black belts, while Cruickshank's mother is also a former professional competitor in kickboxing and boxing. Cruickshank is a second degree black belt in Taekwondo and was also a talented wrestler, having competed in wrestling and also swimming since he was in the eighth grade. Cruickshank went to wrestle collegiately, and was a NJCAA national finalist as well as a two-time NCAA Division III national qualifier at Olivet College where he earned a bachelor's degree in fitness management.
Mixed martial arts career
Cruickshank made his amateur debut in August 2008 where he defeated Tom Grisham via KO at XCC 11: Duel in Downriver 2. He then went on to knock out his next two opponents in the first round to finish his amateur career and become a professional.
King of the Cage
In Cruickshank's professional debut he fought Ricky Stettner at KOTC: Strike Point where he won by first round KO.
Bellator Fighting Championships
On July 12, 2011, it was announced that Cruickshank signed a contract with Bellator Fighting Championships to fight on their upcoming Summer Series card on July 23. He was to fight Lithuanian fighter Sergej Juskevic but the fight was scrapped at the last minute.
The Ultimate Fighter
Cruickshank competed on The Ultimate Fighter: Live beginning in March, 2012. In the elimination fight, he defeated Drew Dober by unanimous decision to get into the TUF house. Cruickshank was selected third (sixth overall) by Urijah Faber to be part of his team. In the first fight on the show, Cruickshank was chosen to face James Vick of Team Cruz. Despite controlling much of the action in the opening round, Cruickshank was knocked out with a knee on a takedown attempt.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Cruickshank was expected to face Henry Martinez on September 1, 2012 at UFC 151. However, after UFC 151 was cancelled, Cruickshank/Martinez was rescheduled and took place on December 8, 2012 at UFC on Fox 5. He won the fight via spectacular knockout in the second round.
Cruickshank next faced John Makdessi on March 16, 2013 at UFC 158. He lost the fight via unanimous decision. In the final 10 seconds of the Makdessi fight, Cruickshank had his nose badly injured and wound up having surgery to repair what his doctor called "the worst thing he's ever seen." He underwent the surgery in May of 2013.
Cruickshank faced K.J. Noons on December 12, 2014 at The Ultimate Fighter 20 Finale. After a back-and-forth first round, the fight was stopped in the second round when Cruickshank received a second inadvertent eye poke from Noons and was unable to continue. Because they had not reached the third round, the fight was declared a No Contest.
Cruickshank faced Beneil Dariush on March 14, 2015 at UFC 185. Cruickshank missed weight on his first attempt at the weigh ins, coming in at 157.5 pounds. He was given additional time to make the lightweight limit, but missed weight again, coming in at 157 pounds. Subsequently, he was fined 20 percent of his purse, which went to Dariush. He lost the fight via submission in the second round.
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|24 matches||16 wins||7 losses|
|Loss||16–7 (1)||James Krause||Submission (rear-naked choke)||UFC on Fox: Dillashaw vs. Barão 2||July 25, 2015||1||1:27||Chicago, Illinois, United States|
|Loss||16–6 (1)||Beneil Dariush||Submission (rear-naked choke)||UFC 185||March 14, 2015||2||2:48||Dallas, Texas, United States||Catchweight (157 lbs) bout; Cruickshank missed weight.|
|NC||16–5 (1)||K.J. Noons||NC (accidental eye poke)||The Ultimate Fighter: A Champion Will Be Crowned Finale||December 12, 2014||2||0:25||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Cruickshank was rendered unable to continue.|
|Win||16–5||Anthony Njokuani||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: MacDonald vs. Saffiedine||October 4, 2014||3||5:00||Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada|
|Loss||15–5||Jorge Masvidal||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on Fox: Lawler vs. Brown||July 26, 2014||3||5:00||San Jose, California, United States|
|Win||15–4||Erik Koch||TKO (head kick and punches)||UFC Fight Night: Brown vs. Silva||May 10, 2014||1||3:21||Cincinnati, Ohio, United States|
|Win||14–4||Mike Rio||TKO (wheel kick and punches)||UFC on Fox: Henderson vs. Thomson||January 25, 2014||2||4:56||Chicago, Illinois, United States|
|Loss||13–4||Adriano Martins||Submission (straight armbar)||UFC Fight Night: Belfort vs. Henderson||November 9, 2013||2||2:49||Goiânia, Brazil|
|Win||13–3||Yves Edwards||Decision (split)||UFC on Fox: Johnson vs. Moraga||July 27, 2013||3||5:00||Seattle, Washington, United States|
|Loss||12–3||John Makdessi||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 158||March 16, 2013||3||5:00||Montreal, Quebec, Canada|
|Win||12–2||Henry Martinez||KO (head kick)||UFC on Fox: Henderson vs. Diaz||December 8, 2012||2||2:57||Seattle, Washington, United States||Catchweight (158 lbs) bout; Martinez missed weight.|
|Win||11–2||Chris Tickle||Decision (unanimous)||The Ultimate Fighter: Live Finale||June 1, 2012||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||10–2||Jesse Gross||TKO (punches and elbows)||Score Fighting Series 3||December 3, 2011||1||1:39||Sarnia, Ontario, Canada||Catchweight (163 lbs) bout.|
|Win||9–2||Mike Ricci||Decision (unanimous)||Ringside MMA 12||October 21, 2011||5||5:00||Montreal, Quebec, Canada||Won the Ringside MMA Lightweight Championship.|
|Win||8–2||Brad Cardinal||TKO (punches)||Slammer in the Hammer||June 17, 2011||1||4:35||Hamilton, Ontario, Canada||Catchweight (159 lbs) bout; Cruickshank missed weight.|
|Win||7–2||Tiawan Howard||Decision (split)||BUCB: Stars and Stripes||April 9, 2011||3||5:00||Parma, Ohio, United States|
|Loss||6–2||Luis Palomino||KO (head kick and punches)||G-Force Fights: Bad Blood 5||February 26, 2011||1||3:52||Grand Rapids, Michigan, United States|
|Win||6–1||Anthony Smith||TKO (punches)||KOTC: Civil War II||September 11, 2010||1||1:52||Royal Oak, Michigan, United States|
|Loss||5–1||Bobby Green||Submission (guillotine choke)||KOTC: Imminent Danger||August 13, 2010||2||2:39||Mescalero, New Mexico, United States||For the KOTC Junior Welterweight Championship.|
|Win||5–0||Jason Holmes||Decision (split)||KOTC: Bad Boys 2||April 16, 2010||3||5:00||Detroit, Michigan, United States|
|Win||4–0||Raul Mandez||KO (punches)||KOTC: Uppercut||March 13, 2010||1||2:19||Laughlin, Nevada, United States|
|Win||3–0||Dominic Deshazor||TKO (punches)||XCC: Beatdown at the Ballroom 9||March 6, 2010||1||1:25||Mt. Clemens, Michigan, United States|
|Win||2–0||Brett Biederman||Submission (rear-naked choke)||XCC: Rumble in Royal Oak 5||January 16, 2010||2||2:58||Royal Oak, Michigan, United States|
|Win||1–0||Ricky Stettner||KO (spinning back fist)||KOTC: Strike Point||October 10, 2009||1||2:23||Lac du Flambeau, Wisconsin, United States|
Mixed martial arts exhibition record
|Exhibition record breakdown|
|2 matches||1 win||1 loss|
|Loss||1-1||James Vick||KO (knee)||The Ultimate Fighter: Live||March 16, 2012 (airdate)||1||2:16||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||The Ultimate Fighter: Live Preliminary round|
|Win||1–0||Drew Dober||Decision (unanimous)||The Ultimate Fighter: Live||March 9, 2012 (airdate)||1||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||The Ultimate Fighter: Live Elimination round|
- "Fight Card - UFC Fight Night Dillashaw vs. Barao 2". UFC.com. Retrieved July 26, 2015.
- "Fight Card - UFC 185 Pettis vs. Dos Anjos". UFC.com. Retrieved March 14, 2015.
- "Lawler Battles Brown July 26 in San Jose". UFC.com. June 3, 2014.
- Jordan Newmark (December 11, 2014). "Daron Cruickshank: A Busy Year Continues in Vegas". UFC.com.
- "'The Ultimate Fighter 15' cast unveiled with 32 lightweight fighters". MMAJunkie.com. February 27, 2012. Retrieved February 27, 2012.
- "Mixed martial arts results, Season 15 - The Ultimate Fighter" (PDF). State of Nevada, Department of Business and Industry Athletic Commission. March 9, 2012. Retrieved March 25, 2012.
- "Episode No. 2 recap: 'The Ultimate Fighter: Live'". MMAJunkie.com. March 16, 2012. Retrieved May 14, 2012.
- "TUF Live Finale adds Cruickshank-Tickle". MMAJunkie.com. May 23, 2012. Retrieved May 23, 2012.
- "Martinez vs. Cruickshank added to UFC 151". MMAJunkie.com. July 20, 2012. Retrieved July 20, 2012.
- "Cruickshank-Martinez moved from scrapped UFC 151 to UFC on FOX 5". mmajunkie.com. August 27, 2012.
- Cody Rempel (January 5, 2013). "Makdessi Set To Face Cruickshank At UFC 158". topmmanews.com.
- The Insider W/ Daron Cruickshank by Dane Ford (MMAInsider.net) on May 28, 2013
- Staff (2013-07-11). "Daron Cruickshank replaces Spencer Fisher, meets Yves Edwards at UFC on FOX 8". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-07-11.
- Staff (2013-09-18). "Daron Cruickshank vs. Adriano Martins added to UFC Fight Night 32". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-09-18.
- Staff (2014-02-27). "Erik Koch vs. Daron Cruickshank joins UFC Fight Night 40 in Cincinnati". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-02-27.
- Cole, Ross (10 May 2014). "Daron Cruickshank Stops Erik Koch In The First Round At UFC Fight Night 40". Fight of the Night. Retrieved 13 May 2014.
- Mike Chiapetta (2014-05-22). "Jorge Masvidal vs. Daron Cruickshank added to UFC on FOX San Jose". msn.foxsports.com. Retrieved 2014-05-22.
- Staff (2014-09-04). "Daron Cruickshank meets Anthony Njokuani at UFC Fight Night 54 in Halifax". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-09-04.
- Tristen Critchfield (2014-10-09). "Lightweights Daron Cruickshank, K.J. Noons Paired at ‘TUF 20’ Finale on Dec. 12". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2014-10-09.
- Steven Marrocco (2014-12-12). "TUF 20 Finale results: Eye pokes lead to no-contest for Daron Cruickshank, K.J. Noons". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-12-12.
- Staff (2015-01-15). "Daron Cruickshank vs. Beneil Dariush lightweight bout added to UFC 185 in Dallas". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-01-15.
- Brian Knapp (2015-03-13). "UFC 185 Weigh-In Results: Anthony Pettis, Rafael dos Anjos Cleared For Title Headliner". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2015-03-14.
- Marc Raimondi (2015-04-24). "Daron Cruickshank vs. James Krause set for UFC on FOX 16 in Chicago". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2015-04-24.
- Ben Fowlkes (2015-07-25). "UFC on FOX 16 results: James Krause overwhelms Cruickshank, scores quick win". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-07-25.