Darrell Don Earl Long
|Alma mater||San Diego State University (B.S. 1984)|
University of California, San Diego (M.S. 1986), (Ph.D. 1988)
|Known for||Computer Data Storage|
(m. 1984; died 2014)
|Awards||IEEE Fellow (2006)|
AAAS Fellow (2008)
|Institutions||University of California, Santa Cruz |
Conservatoire National des Arts et Métiers
|Doctoral advisor||Jehan-François Pâris|
|Doctoral students||Randal Burns|
Darrell Don Earl Long is an American computer scientist and computer engineer who is Kumar Malavalli Endowed Chair of Storage Systems Research and Distinguished Professor of Engineering at the University of California, Santa Cruz. He was editor-in-chief of the IEEE Letters of the Computer Society and was editor-in-chief of the ACM Transactions on Storage (TOS). In 2002, he was the founder of the Conference on File and Storage Technologies (FAST).
Long did his undergraduate studies at San Diego State University, graduating in 1984, and went on to graduate studies at the University of California, San Diego, earning a Ph.D. in 1988 under the supervision of Jehan-François Pâris.
While in graduate school, he worked as a lecturer in mathematics at San Diego State University and in computer science at the University of California, San Diego. After earning his Ph.D. he joined the faculty of the University of California, Santa Cruz. At UCSC, he has been associate dean for research and graduate studies in the Jack Baskin School of Engineering, and he is Director emeritus of the Storage Systems Research Center. During his tenure at the SSRC, seven women earned Ph.D's in the program, which is noteworthy in the field of Computer Science, where women are significantly underrepresented.
Long has held visiting faculty positions at the Université Paris–Dauphine (Paris IX), the Conservatoire National des Arts et Métiers, the Université Paris–Descartes (Paris V), Sorbonne Université (Pierre et Marie Curie, Paris VI), the University of Technology, Sydney, the Center for Communications Research, the United States Naval Postgraduate School and is Professor ad Honorem de la Universidad Católica del Uruguay.[better source needed] He is an Associate Member of the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN).
Long served as the Vice-Chair and then Chair of the University of California Committee on Research Policy. He has served on the University of California President’s Council on the National Laboratories, and on the Science & Technology, National Security and Intelligence committees for those laboratories. He served for many years on the National Research Council's Standing Committee on Technology Insight-Gauge, Evaluate, and Review (TIGER), and the Committee on Defense Intelligence Agency Technology Forecasts and Reviews. He served on the National Research Council's Committee on Science and Technology for Defense Warning. He was a member of the United States Army Laboratory Assessment Group (ALAG) and the United States Army Technology Objectives review panel. He is a member of the Intelligence Science and Technology Experts Group (ISTEG) for the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine. He is a member of the advisory group JASON.
Long's research interests include computer data storage, operating systems, distributed computing, and computer security. In 1991, Long worked on the idea of storing metadata separately from data in the Swift file system. This idea became a central design concept in subsequent distributed file and storage systems, including two projects on which Long was a major contributor: IBM TotalStorage/SAN (Storage Tank) and Ceph. The Ceph distributed file system was first designed and implemented in the Storage Systems Research Center in 2006 by Sage Weil and other members of the SSRC under the direction of Long, Professor Ethan Miller, Professor Scott Brandt, and Dr. Carlos Maltzahn. Long has done further research on metadata for exascale file systems and security for exascale file systems.
Long worked on data deduplication, having worked on deduplication and delta compression for reducing the storage demands for backup and long-term data storage. He also contributed to techniques for scaling deduplication for very large backup systems.
Beyond these areas, Long has written research papers on web caching, power-aware hard disk management in mobile computing, and low-bandwidth multicast techniques for video on demand, among other topics.
Awards and honors
Long became an IEEE Fellow in 2006 "for contributions to storage systems architecture and performance". In 2008 he was inducted as a fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science.
- "Obituary of Mary Katherine Long". Archived from the original on 2022-06-28. Retrieved 2022-06-28.
- Faculty profile Archived 2019-01-05 at the Wayback Machine, UCSC, retrieved 2012-12-15.
- "CSDL | IEEE Computer Society". Archived from the original on 2017-11-15. Retrieved 2017-11-14.
- Transactions on Storage Archived 2019-04-15 at the Wayback Machine, retrieved 2012-04-07.
- Darrell Don Earl Long at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Three USC professors elected AAAS Fellows Archived 2011-10-23 at the Wayback Machine, Tim Stephens, UCSC University News, December 17, 2008, retrieved 2012-02-25.
- UCSC Storage Systems Research Center faculty Archived 2012-02-13 at the Wayback Machine, retrieved 2012-12-15.
- Female computer science grad students find supportive environment at UC Santa Cruz Archived 2016-03-14 at the Wayback Machine, retrieved 2021-08-19.
- Curriculum Vitae, retrieved 2017-12-16.
- UCORP Annual Report 2001-2002 Archived 2021-08-20 at the Wayback Machine retrieved 2021-08-19.
- UCORP Annual Report 2002-2003 Archived 2021-08-20 at the Wayback Machine retrieved 2021-08-19.
- List of 2004 members of the University of California President’s Council on the National Laboratories Archived 2021-08-20 at the Wayback Machine retrieved 2021-08-19.
- JASON Defense Advisory Panel Reports Archived 2014-08-27 at the Wayback Machine retrieved 2014-8-6.
- Cabrera, Luis-Felipe; Long, Darrell D.E. (1991), "Swift: A Distributed Storage Architecture for Large Objects", Proc. 11th Symposium on Mass Storage Systems (MSS), pp. 123–128, doi:10.1109/MASS.1991.160223, ISBN 978-0-8186-2155-0, S2CID 44826105.
- Long, Darrell D.E.; Montague, Bruce; Cabrera, Luis-Felipe (1994), "Swift/RAID: A Distributed RAID System", Computing Systems, vol. 7, pp. 331–359, CiteSeerX 10.1.1.53.7183.
- Weil, Sage A.; Brandt, Scott A.; Miller, Ethan L.; Long, Darrell D. E.; Maltzahn, Carlos (2006), "Ceph: a scalable, high-performance distributed file system", Proc. 7th USENIX Symp. Operating Systems Design and Implementation (PDF), pp. 307–320, archived (PDF) from the original on 2012-03-09, retrieved 2012-02-26.
- SSRC Exascale Storage Research Archived 2009-04-29 at the Wayback Machine retrieved 2021-08-20.
- Parker-Wood, Aleatha; Madden, Brian; McThrow, Michael; Long, Darrell D. E.; Adams, Ian; Wildani, Avani (2013), "Examining Extended and Scientific Metadata for Scalable Index Designs", Proceedings of the 6th International Systems and Storage Conference (SYSTOR 2013), archived from the original on 2021-12-14, retrieved 2022-06-07
- Li, Yan; Dhotre, Nakul; Ohara, Yasuhiro; Kroeger, Thomas; Miller, Ethan L.; Long, Darrell D. E. (2013), "Horus: Fine-Grained Encryption-Based Security for Large-Scale Storage", Proc. 11th Conference on File and Storage Systems (FAST 2013)), archived from the original on 2021-12-14, retrieved 2022-06-07
- Burns, Randal C.; Long, Darrell D. E. (1997), "Efficient distributed backup with delta compression", Proceedings of the 5th Workshop on I/O in Parallel and Distributed Systems (IOPADS '97), doi:10.1145/266220.266223, S2CID 1298161, archived from the original on 2022-06-07, retrieved 2022-06-07
- You, Lawrence; Pollack, Kristal; Long, Darrell D. E. (2005), "Deep Store: An Archival Storage System Architecture", Proceedings of the 21st International Conference on Data Engineering (ICDE '05), archived from the original on 2021-08-20, retrieved 2021-08-20
- Bhagwat, Deepavali; Eshghi, Kave; D. E. Long, Darrell; Lillibridge, Mark (2009), "Extreme Binning: Scalable, Parallel Deduplication for Chunk-based File Backup", (MASCOTS 2009), archived from the original on 2017-03-08, retrieved 2017-03-08
- Kroeger, T.M.; Long, D.D.E.; Mogul, J.C. (1997), "Exploring the bounds of web latency reduction from caching and prefetching", Proc. USENIX Symp. Internet Technologies and Systems (PDF), archived (PDF) from the original on 2016-03-04, retrieved 2012-02-26.
- Helmbold, David P.; Long, Darrell D. E.; Sherrod, Bruce (1996), "A dynamic disk spin-down technique for mobile computing", Proc. 2nd International Conf. Mobile Computing and Networking, pp. 130–142, doi:10.1145/236387.236423, ISBN 978-0897918725, S2CID 7877062.
- Paris, J.-F.; Carter, S.W.; Long, D.E. (1998), "A low bandwidth broadcasting protocol for video on demand", Proc. 7th International Conf. Computer Communications and Networks, pp. 690–697, doi:10.1109/ICCCN.1998.998831, ISBN 978-0-8186-9014-3, S2CID 8520094
- List of IEEE Fellows Archived 2012-03-01 at the Wayback Machine, retrieved 2012-12-15.