Darren Cullen (artist)
|Education||Glasgow School of Art|
|Known for||Visual art, satire|
Darren Cullen (born 1983 in Leeds, UK) is an artist and political cartoonist whose artwork satirises topics ranging from the insidious nature of advertising, to the culpability of the Santa lie and armed forces recruitment propaganda.
In 2014, Cullen opened a shop installation called 'Pocket Money Loans' in Finsbury Park at Atom Gallery  A payday loan shop for kids, which appeared to give children an advance on their pocket money at 5000% interest. In 2015, he took the work to Banksy's Dismaland, opening the shop in a portacabin next to the children's play area.
In 2015, alongside Veterans for Peace UK he released a series of films called Action Man: Battlefield Casualties . Directed by Price James, featuring Matt Berry and written by Cullen, the films parody 90s Action Man toy adverts to draw attention to the possible outcomes of military service through three short 'adverts' for PTSD Action Man, Paralysed Action Man and Dead Action Man. They were part of a campaign by Veterans for Peace UK to raise the British military age of recruitment from 16 to 18, in line with other European and Nato countries.
Cullen played drums in the band Shitdisco from 2003-2009 and the band Age of Consent 2010-13. While a member of Shitdisco, he worked with the Japanese idol group 80_pan to compose and arrange the song "crazy", released on the 2008 album "DISCO BABY".
- Daily Mail. "Would you buy this for your daughter?", Daily Mail
- The Independent. "Payday loans that are marketed at kids? Why not?", The Independent
- The Guardian. "Student's anti-Santa poster scrapped", The Guardian
- The Skinny. "Darren Cullen: Unto the Breach", The Skinny
- "Your Search Results - Search the Collections - Victoria and Albert Museum". collections.vam.ac.uk. Retrieved 10 July 2017.
- Editor, Sara C. Nelson Senior; UK, The Huffington Post (29 October 2014). "First Payday Loans Shop For Children Opens In London*". HuffPost UK. Retrieved 10 July 2017.
- Schwab, Katharine. "Welcome to 'Dismaland': A Theme Park by Banksy". Retrieved 10 July 2017.
- "Spoof Action Man: Battlefield Casualties ad is hilarious and very chilling". 6 July 2015. Retrieved 10 July 2017.
- Berlin Beat "Interview: Age of Consent", Berlin Beat
- "Comedy Opinion and Features - The Skinny". Retrieved 10 July 2017.