May 16, 1984 |
Hobart, Indiana, United States
|Other names||The Damage|
|Height||5 ft 10 in (1.78 m)|
|Weight||145 lb (66 kg; 10.4 st)|
|Reach||71.0 in (180 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Hobart, Indiana, United States|
|Team||Duneland Vale Tudo|
|Rank||Brazilian jiu-jitsuBrown belt in|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Darren Keith Elkins (born May 16, 1984) is an American mixed martial artist signed to the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) where he fights in the Featherweight division. As of August 17, 2015, he is #14 in the official UFC Featherweight rankings.
Elkins was born in Hobart, Indiana and competed all four years in wrestling for Portage High School. Elkins placed seventh as a freshman, Qualified as a sophomore, third as a junior, and was a State Champion as a senior. Darren also won multiple Freestyle State Championships as a youth. Elkins then went to college for two years and wrestled at University of Wisconsin Parkside, but didn’t earn a degree.
Mixed martial arts career
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Elkins made his UFC debut on the preliminary card of UFC on Versus: Vera vs. Jones, where he defeated Duane Ludwig via TKO after Ludwig suffered a serious ankle injury after being taken down by Elkins in the first round.
His next bout took place on the preliminary card of UFC Live: Jones vs. Matyushenko against Charles Oliveira. Elkins took Oliveira down early, but his opponent quickly attempted a triangle choke. Oliveira then transitioned to an armbar, which forced Elkins to submit.
Elkins won a unanimous decision over Zhang Tiequan on October 8, 2011 at UFC 136. After several failed guillotine attempts from Zhang, Elkins was able to dominate him from top position including at several points mounting him and pounding away with strikes.
Elkins defeated TUF 14 winner Diego Brandão on May 26, 2012 at UFC 146. Elkins utilized his top game with ground and pound to win the second and third rounds, earning him the unanimous decision victory.
Elkins fought fellow featherweight prospect Steven Siler on November 17, 2012 at UFC 154. After dominating the fight for three rounds, Elkins was awarded the unanimous decision victory, moving him to 4-0 at featherweight and 5-1 overall in the UFC.
Elkins faced Antonio Carvalho on March 16, 2013 at UFC 158. Elkins won via first round TKO stoppage after landing strikes that rocked Carvalho followed by a knockdown, prompting the ref to intervene.
After taking virtually no damage in the fight against Carvalho, Elkins made a quick return and faced Chad Mendes on April 20, 2013 at UFC on Fox 7, replacing an injured Clay Guida. He lost the fight by 1st round TKO.
Elkins faced Hatsu Hioki on August 28, 2013 at UFC Fight Night 27. After getting hurt by a body kick late in the first round, Elkins rallied in the last two rounds and won the fight via unanimous decision.
Elkins was briefly linked to a matchup with Tatsuya Kawajiri on September 20, 2014 at UFC Fight Night 52, but the bout never materialized as Kawajiri was sidelined indefinitely with a detached retina.
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|23 matches||18 wins||5 losses|
|Loss||18–5||Hacran Dias||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Machida vs. Dollaway||December 20, 2014||3||5:00||Barueri, Brazil|
|Win||18–4||Lucas Martins||Decision (split)||UFC 179||October 25, 2014||3||5:00||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil|
|Loss||17–4||Jeremy Stephens||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on Fox: Henderson vs. Thomson||January 25, 2014||3||5:00||Chicago, Illinois, United States|
|Win||17–3||Hatsu Hioki||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Condit vs. Kampmann 2||August 28, 2013||3||5:00||Indianapolis, Indiana, United States|
|Loss||16–3||Chad Mendes||TKO (punches)||UFC on Fox: Henderson vs. Melendez||April 20, 2013||1||1:08||San Jose, California, United States|
|Win||16–2||Antonio Carvalho||TKO (punches)||UFC 158||March 16, 2013||1||3:06||Montreal, Quebec, Canada|
|Win||15–2||Steven Siler||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 154||November 17, 2012||3||5:00||Montreal, Quebec, Canada|
|Win||14–2||Diego Brandão||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 146||May 26, 2012||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||13–2||Zhang Tiequan||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 136||October 8, 2011||3||5:00||Houston, Texas, United States|
|Win||12–2||Michihiro Omigawa||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 131||June 11, 2011||3||5:00||Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada||Featherweight debut|
|Loss||11–2||Charles Oliveira||Submission (armbar)||UFC Live: Jones vs. Matyushenko||August 1, 2010||1||0:41||San Diego, California, United States|
|Win||11–1||Duane Ludwig||TKO (ankle injury)||UFC Live: Vera vs. Jones||March 21, 2010||1||0:44||Broomfield, Colorado, United States|
|Win||10–1||Gideon Ray||Decision (unanimous)||Hoosier FC 1: Raise Up||November 20, 2009||3||5:00||Valparaiso, Indiana, United States|
|Win||9–1||Bryan Neville||TKO (punches)||Total Fight Challenge 17||October 10, 2009||1||1:27||Hammond, Indiana, United States|
|Loss||8–1||Ted Worthington||TKO (doctor stoppage)||Duneland Classic 6||September 12, 2009||1||0:13||Crown Point, Indiana, United States|
|Win||8–0||Danny Rodriguez||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Total Fight Challenge 15||May 30, 2009||1||1:36||Hammond, Indiana, United States|
|Win||7–0||Pat Curran||Decision (unanimous)||C3: Domination||November 22, 2008||3||5:00||Hammond, Indiana, United States||Won C3 Lightweight Championship|
|Win||6–0||Kenny Klein||TKO (punches)||C3: Summer Fight Fest 3||August 15, 2008||1||1:36||Highland, Indiana, United States|
|Win||5–0||Decarlo Johnson||Submission (guillotine choke)||C3: Corral Combat Classic 2||April 26, 2008||2||0:24||Hammond, Indiana, United States|
|Win||4–0||Atsuhiro Tsuboi||Submission (Von Flue choke)||Bodog Fight: Vancouver||August 24, 2007||1||1:55||Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada|
|Win||3–0||Daniel Wanderley||TKO (corner stoppage)||IMMAC 2: Attack||April 21, 2007||1||5:00||Chicago, Illinois, United States|
|Win||2–0||Matt Joseph||TKO (punches)||Bourbon Street Brawl 3||April 4, 2007||1||N/A||Chicago, Illinois, United States|
|Win||1–0||Jeremy Markam||TKO (punches)||Bourbon Street Brawl 2||January 24, 2007||1||N/A||Chicago, Illinois, United States|
- "Fight Card - UFC 179 Aldo vs. Mendes 2". UFC.com. Retrieved October 28, 2014.
- Jeff Neal. "UFC Fighter Darren Elkins receives 2nd stripe on brown belt by Carlson Gracie Aurora / Naperville / Channahon instructor Jeff Neal". carlsongracie-mma.com.
- UFC Fighter Rankings
- "Darren Elkins - Official UFC Fighter Profile". UFC.com. Retrieved October 25, 2014.
- John Morgan. "Gunderson vs. Holst official for TUF 11 Finale, Elkins vs. Oliveira to UFC on Versus 2". MMAjunkie.
- "Darren Elkins vs. newcomer Edson Barboza planned for UFC 123 event". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2010-09-09.
- "Darren Elkins out, newcomer Mike Lullo in for UFC 123 prelims". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2010-11-11.
- "Darren Elkins dropping to 145, likely meets Michihiro Omigawa at UFC 131". mmajunkie.com. February 21, 2011.
- Leland Roling (2011-06-11). "UFC 131 Results: Darren Elkins defeats Michihiro Omigawa by unanimous decision". bloodyelbow.com. Retrieved 2011-06-11.
- Cruz, Guilherme (August 12, 2011). "Tiequan Zhang vs. Darren Elkins set for UFC 136". Tatame.com. Retrieved August 12, 2011.
- Leland Roling (2011-10-08). "UFC 136 Results: Darren Elkins out grapples Tiequan Zhang, wins decision". bloodyelbow.com. Retrieved 2011-10-08.
- "Darren Elkins Faces Off With Diego Brandao At UFC 146". bloodyelbow.com. February 23, 2012.
- Staff (2012-05-27). "UFC 146 results: Battered Darren Elkins survives, upsets Diego Brandao". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2012-05-27.
- "UFC 154 adds featherweights Steven Siler vs. Darren Elkins". mmajunkie.com. October 2, 2012. Retrieved October 2, 2012.
- Matt Erickson (2012-11-17). "UFC 154 results: Darren Elkins dominates Steven Siler to take unanimous decision". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2012-11-17.
- Staff (January 21, 2013). "UFC 158 Fight Card Adds Antonio Carvalho vs. Darren Elkins". MMAWeekly.com.
- Matt Erickson (2013-03-17). "UFC 158 results: Darren Elkins clips Antonio Carvalho, earns quick stop". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-03-17.
- Matt Erickson (March 19, 2013). "Darren Elkins steps in for Clay Guida, meets Chad Mendes at UFC on FOX 7". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved March 19, 2013.
- Mike Chiapetta (2013-04-20). "UFC on FOX 7 results: Chad Mendes stops Darren Elkins by TKO". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2013-04-20.
- Brett Okamoto (June 11, 2013). "Hioki and Elkins set for August clash". espn.co.uk. Retrieved June 11, 2013.
- Brian Knapp (2013-08-28). "UFC Fight Night 27 Prelims: Darren Elkins upsets Hatsu Hioki in Indianapolis". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2013-08-28.
- Matt Erickson (2013-11-16). "Darren Elkins vs. Jeremy Stephens set for UFC on FOX 10 in Chicago". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-11-16.
- Alex Schlinsky (2014-01-25). "UFC on FOX 10 results: Jeremy Stephens defeats Darren Elkins by Unanimous Decision". fansided.com. Retrieved 2014-01-25.
- Anton Tabuena (2014-06-25). "Tatsuya Kawajiri out of UFC: Japan with detached retina". bloodyelbow.com. Retrieved 2014-06-25.
- Staff (2014-09-09). "Darren Elkins vs. Lucas Martins slated for UFC 179 in Brazil". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-09-09.
- Ben Fowlkes (2014-10-25). "UFC 179 results, photos: Darren Elkins goes deep to down Lucas Martins". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-10-25.
- Guilherme Cruz (2014-11-11). "Darren Elkins gets quick turnaround, meets Hacran Dias at UFC Fight Night 58". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2014-11-11.
- Steven Marrocco (2014-12-20). "UFC Fight Night 58 results: Hacran Dias outwrestles Darren Elkins for decision win". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-12-20.
- Paul Dollery (14 September 2015). "UFC Dublin card finalised after addition of a cracking featherweight bout". the42.ie. Retrieved 14 September 2015.