|Real name||Darren John Sutherland|
|Height||1.75 m (5 ft 9 in)|
18 April 1982|
Rotunda Hospital, Dublin, Ireland
|Died||14 September 2009
Bromley, London, England
|Wins by KO||4|
Sutherland represented the St Saviour's ABC in Dublin and won the Leinster senior title in 2005, 2006 and 2007. He faced Edward Healy in the 2006 and 2007 Final and Darren O'Neill in 2008 winning all three. Sutherland's international career featured a great rivalry with Britain's James Degale, who later paid tribute to Sutherland upon winning his first professional world title in 2015.
2007 | EU Amateur Championships
- Mario Duro: Won - RSC (Round 3)
- Ivano Del Monte: Won - PTS (32:19)
- James DeGale: Won - PTS (23:19)
2008 | EU Amateur Championships
2008 | Olympic Games
- First round bye: Advanced
- Nabil Kassel: Won - RSC (Round 4)
- Alfonso Blanco: Won - PTS (11-1)
- James DeGale: Lost - PTS (3-10)
Following the exposure gained at the Olympics, Sutherland was offered a number of contracts as a professional boxer. In October 2008 he signed terms with London-based promoter Frank Maloney. On 18 December 2008, Sutherland made a winning start to his professional career with a first round knockout of Georgi Iliev in Dublin. After the bout, Sutherland's promoter Frank Maloney said "I think we've found a real superstar here tonight and this is just the start of a long journey". His next fight, against Siarhei Navarka on 6 March at Robin Park Arena in Wigan, ended with Sutherland winning by a third round stoppage.
Professional boxing record
|4 Wins (4 Knockouts), 0 Losses, 0 Draws|
|Win||4-0||Gennadiy Rasalev||TKO||4 (6)||2009-06-30||York Hall, London, England|
|Win||3-0||Vepkhia Tchilaia||TKO||4 (6)||2009-05-29||Fenton Manor Sports Complex, Stoke-on-Trent, England|
|Win||2-0||Siarhei Navarka||TKO||3 (6)||2009-03-06||Robin Park Arena, Wigan, England|
|Win||1-0||Georgi Iliev||TKO||1 (6)||2008-12-18||DCU Sports Complex, Dublin, Ireland||Professional debut.|
On 14 September 2009, Sutherland was found dead with his wrists bound at his apartment in Bromley by his promoter, Frank Maloney. It was alleged he died by hanging himself. He suffered from depression. Olympic gold medalist, James DeGale commented on the death stating: "It is very, very sad news - I just can't believe it, It is a tragedy. First and foremost, my heart goes out to his family. I just could not believe it; my heart went to the floor when I heard. He was a big part of my Olympic medal journey and it is just terrible. I just do not know what to say except that he was a brilliant fighter, in fact an excellent fighter, and he was a gentleman outside the ring as well. He had an Olympic bronze medal and his whole life to look forward to. He had a great future, and my heart goes out to everyone who knew him." At the time, he was dating Irish model Hazel O'Sullivan.
Following Sutherland's death, James DeGale kept the initials 'DS' on his shorts in professional bouts. When he won the IBF super middleweight world title against Andre Dirrell in 2015, he spoke post-fight of his relationship with Sutherland and dedicated the victory to him. "It's for Darren Sutherland as well, of course. My late rival" he said. "When he took his life back in 2009 it was horrendous. From when he passed, I've always had 'DS' on my shorts. And this world title is for him as well. A great guy. A great fighter. Unbelievable fighter. We've had some great, great scraps. It's for him."
- "Olympic bronze medallist Darren Sutherland found hanged". The Guardian. 15 September 2009.
- "James DeGale dedicates world title to the late Darren Sutherland". The Independent. 24 May 2015.
- "European Union Championships - Dublin, Ireland - June 18-23 2007". Amateur Boxing Results.
- "Boxing: 4 EU Gold and 2 Silver for the Irish in Cetniewo Poland". European Irish. 23 June 2008.
- "Sutherland secures Olympic medal". RTÉ Sport. 20 August 2008.
- "Sutherland finally taking on the world". The Independent. 14 December 2008.
- "Dream debut for Daz". Sky Sports. 19 December 2008.
- "Darren Sutherland 'in a panic' before death". RTÉ News. 13 March 2012.
- "Frank Maloney ill after finding Olympic boxing hero Darren Sutherland hanged". The Times. 15 September 2009.
- "Sutherland was in 'quite a happy mood'". BBC News. 24 September 2009.
- "Darren Sutherland's ex-girlfriend Hazel O'Sullivan reveals how some tried to make her a scapegoat". Daily Mail. 25 March 2012.
- "Body of Sutherland exhumed". The Irish Times. 9 September 2010.
- "Open verdict in Darren Sutherland inquest". RTÉ News. 15 March 2012.