Darren W. McDew
|Darren W. McDew|
|Born||September 29, 1960|
|Service/branch||United States Air Force|
|Years of service||1982–present|
|Commands held||United States Transportation Command
Air Mobility Command
Eighteenth Air Force
|Battles/wars||Global War on Terror|
|Awards||Air Force Distinguished Service Medal (2)
Defense Superior Service Medal (2)
Legion of Merit (3)
Darren W. McDew (born September 29, 1960) is a United States Air Force general who serves as the Commander of United States Transportation Command Scott AFB, IL. He used to be the Air Mobility Command and Eighteenth Air Force Commander. McDew is a Command Pilot with over 3,300 hours of flight time. He has flown the T-37B, T-38A, KC-135A/R, C-17A, C-141B, C-9, C-21, C-130E/H, and UH-1N.
Upon graduation from Virginia Military Institute in 1982 with a Bachelor of Science degree in Civil Engineering, McDew was commissioned as a Second Lieutenant in the United States Air Force and began his flying career at Loring Air Force Base, Maine. His staff assignments include serving as a member of the Air Force Chief of Staff Operations Group, Air Force aide to the President, chief of the Air Force Senate Liaison Division and the director of Air Force Public Affairs. General McDew served as vice director for strategic plans and policy for the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. He also served as the commander of 18th Air Force, Scott AFB, and commanded at the squadron, group and wing levels as well as at an Air Force direct reporting unit. He deployed in support of ongoing operations in Central and Southwest Asia as an air expeditionary group commander and later as the director of mobility forces. Prior to his current assignment, General McDew was the commander of Air Mobility Command, Scott AFB. 
- October 1982 - October 1983, Student, undergraduate pilot training, Williams AFB, Ariz.
- March 1984 - June 1989, Standardization and Evaluation Copilot, Aircraft Commander, Instructor Pilot and Flight commander, 42nd Air Refueling Squadron, Loring AFB, Maine
- July 1989 - June 1992, Combat Crew Training School examiner and Instructor Pilot, Assistant Deputy Wing Inspector and Wing Executive Officer, 93rd Bomb Wing, Castle AFB, Calif.
- July 1992 - April 1994, Rated Force Planner, Directorate of Personnel Plans; member, Air Force Chief of Staff Operations Group, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
- April 1994 - June 1996, Air Force aide to the President, White House, Washington, D.C.
- October 1996 - June 1997, Assistant Operations Officer, 14th Airlift Squadron, Charleston AFB, S.C.
- June 1997 - June 1999, Commander, 14th Airlift Squadron, Charleston AFB, S.C.
- August 1999 - July 2000, Secretary of Defense Corporate Fellow, Sun Microsystems Inc., Palo Alto, Calif.
- July 2000 - January 2002, Commander, 62nd Operations Group, McChord AFB, Wash. (September 2001 - December 2001, Commander, 60th Air Expeditionary Group, Southwest Asia)
- January 2002 - July 2003, Commander, 375th Airlift Wing, and Installation Commander, Scott AFB, Ill.
- July 2003 - January 2005, Chief, U.S. Air Force Senate Liaison Division, Secretary of the Air Force, Washington, D.C.
- January 2005 - July 2006, Commander, 43rd Airlift Wing, and Installation Commander, Pope AFB, N.C. (January 2006 - May 2006, Director of Mobility Forces, Southwest Asia)
- July 2006 - November 2007, Vice Commander, 18th Air Force, Scott AFB, Ill.
- November 2007 - February 2009, Director of Public Affairs, Office of the Secretary of the Air Force, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
- February 2009 - December 2010, Vice Director for Strategic Plans and Policy, Joint Staff, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
- December 2010 - August 2012, Commander, Air Force District of Washington, Andrews AFB, Md.
- August 2012 - May 2014, Commander, 18th Air Force, Scott AFB, Ill.
- May 2014 – August 2015, Commander, Air Mobility Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
- August 2015 – present, Commander, United States Transportation Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
Effective dates of promotion
- Second Lieutenant May 15, 1982
- First Lieutenant May 15, 1984
- Captain July 13, 1986
- Major March 1, 1994
- Lieutenant Colonel January 1, 1997
- Colonel April, 2000
- Brigadier General September 2, 2006
- Major General December 9, 2008
- Lieutenant General August 6, 2012
- General May 5, 2014
Awards and decorations
General McDew has been awarded the following decorations and awards:
|Air Force Command Pilot Badge|
|Joint Chiefs of Staff Badge|
|United States Transportation Command Badge|
|Presidential Service Badge|
- Air Force Official Biography, accessed Sep. 15, 2016 http://www.af.mil/AboutUs/Biographies/Display/tabid/225/Article/107925/general-darren-w-mcdew.aspx
- "VMI AFROTC Hall of Fame". Air Force ROTC, Virginia Military Institute. Retrieved 7 May 2014.
- "General Darren W. McDew". United States Air Force. Retrieved 7 May 2014.
- Air Mobility Command Public Affairs. "AMC Welcomes a New Commander". Air Mobility Command, United States Air Force. Archived from the original on 8 May 2014. Retrieved 7 May 2014.
- Fitzgerald, Mike (13 March 2014). "Belleville (Ill.) News-Democrat". Stars and Stripes. Retrieved 7 May 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Darren W. McDew.|
Paul J. Selva
|Commander of Air Mobility Command
Carlton D. Everhart II
|Commander of United States Transportation Command