Darrett B. Rutman (4 March 1929 – 11 April 1997) was a noted historian of early America. He received his Ph.D. from the University of Virginia in 1959. He was a distinguished scholar and served on the History faculties of the University of Minnesota, 1959–1968, the University of New Hampshire, 1968–1984, and the University of Florida in Gainesville, 1984-1996. He died of an aortic aneurysm on April 11, 1997.
Several of his books were co-authored by his wife, Anita H. Rutman.
- American Puritanism: faith and practice, Darrett B. Rutman (1970, reprinted 1977) ISBN 0-393-00842-8
- The Great Awakening: event and exegesis, edited by Darrett B. Rutman (1970) ISBN 0-471-74725-4 (Paperback: ISBN 0-471-74726-2)
- Husbandmen of Plymouth: farms and villages in the Old Colony, 1620-1692, Darrett B. Rutman (1967)
- The morning of America, 1603-1789, Darrett B. Rutman (1971) ISBN 0-395-04333-6
- The Old Dominion: essays for Thomas Perkins Abernethy, Rutman, Darrett B. (1964)
- A Place in Time: Middlesex County, Virginia 1650-1750, by Darrett B. Rutman, Anita H. Rutman (1984) ISBN 0-393-30318-7
- A Place in Time: Explicatus, by Darrett B. Rutman, Anita H. Rutman (1984) ISBN 0-393-01820-2
- Small worlds, large questions: explorations in early American social history, 1600-1850, Darrett B. Rutman with Anita H. Rutman (1994) ISBN 0-8139-1529-5 (Paperback: ISBN 0-8139-1530-9)
- Rutman, Darrett B. Winthrop's Boston: Portrait of a Puritan Town, 1630-1649, (1965) ISBN 0-8078-0942-X