|Member of Parliament|
for Ang Mo Kio GRC
(Ang Mo Kio–Hougang)
|Assumed office |
11 September 2015
|Preceded by||Yeo Guat Kwang (PAP)|
David Darryl Wilson
1970 (age 51–52)
|Political party||People's Action Party|
|Alma mater||National University of Singapore (BA, MPA)|
Nanyang Technological University (MBA)
David Darryl Wilson (born 1970), often known as Darryl David, is a Singaporean politician. A member of the governing People's Action Party (PAP), he has been the Member of Parliament (MP) representing the Ang Mo Kio–Hougang division of Ang Mo Kio GRC since 2015.
David was educated at St. Michael's School, Raffles Institution and Raffles Junior College before graduating from the National University of Singapore with a Bachelor of Arts with honours degree in English literature.
He subsequently went on to complete a Master of Business Administration degree at Nanyang Technological University and a Master of Public Administration degree at the National University of Singapore's Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy.
David started his career as a host of the Channel 5 television game show, The Pyramid Game, in the 1990s. He was Deputy Director of the School of Design at Temasek Polytechnic before joining SJI International School as its chief executive officer in 2017.
David was latter appointed as Deputy Chair of the Government Parliamentary Committee for Culture, Community and Youth, and Education. He also sits on the Government Parliamentary Committee for Communications and Information, and Social and Family Development.
In his maiden parliamentary speech, David suggested passing a basic English test and doing mandatory community work as additional criteria to become a Singapore citizen.
During the 2020 Budget debate, David called for more subsidies for after-school care even after children graduate from pre-school.
David is a Singaporean of Indian and Chinese descent with his father being an Indian and his mother a Chinese. His parents are divorced and he was raised by his mother. David is bilingual in English and Chinese but is able to speak conversational Hokkien dialect.
- "MP | Parliament of Singapore".
- "Ang Mo Kio GRC: PM Lee leads team to resounding victory". The Straits Times. 12 September 2015. Archived from the original on 20 March 2016. Retrieved 15 September 2015 – via AsiaOne.
- "Singapore Elections Department - 2015 Parliamentary Election Results". Singapore Elections Department. Archived from the original on 14 September 2015. Retrieved 15 September 2015.
- Wong, Velda (12 November 2018). "Whatever you can, wherever you can: An interview with MP Mr Darryl David". Digital Senior. Archived from the original on 21 September 2020. Retrieved 1 August 2020.
- Au-Yong, Rachel (16 August 2015). "Ex-TV host a familiar face but he wants to earn residents' trust". The Straits Times. Archived from the original on 31 March 2018. Retrieved 20 March 2017.
- "Mr Darryl David（达瑞尔•大卫先生）". Nanyang Technological University. Retrieved 12 March 2016.
- Aripin, Nurul Azliah (15 August 2015). "GE2015: Meet the new faces of PAP's Ang Mo Kio GRC – Darryl David and Koh Poh Koon". sg.news.yahoo.com. Archived from the original on 21 September 2020. Retrieved 1 August 2020.
- "New citizens puzzled when MP Darryl David spoke English". AsiaOne. 2 February 2016. Retrieved 1 August 2020.
- Tee, Zhuo (28 February 2020). "Call for more childcare leave and care options". The Straits Times. Retrieved 1 August 2020.
- "Ex-TV host a familiar face but he wants to earn residents' trust". The Straits Times. 16 August 2015.
- "Best to be open about it". The New Paper. 8 December 2000. p. 59.
- Philomin, Laura Elizabeth (15 August 2015). "From TV to politics, new PAP candidate Darryl David relishes chance to serve". TODAYonline.
- "Hey, you look familiar". The Straits Times. 2 August 2015.