|Darshan Kang at a Liberal Party of Canada rally for the 2008 federal election.|
|MLA for Calgary-McCall|
|Preceded by||Shiraz Shariff|
|Occupation||Real Estate Agent|
Darshan Singh Kang is a current provincial level politician and serves as the Member of the Legislative Assembly of Alberta for Calgary-McCall. Prior to his political career he was a welder and a real estate agent.
Kang won his second bid for office in the 2008 Alberta general election. The election was a virtual rematch of 2004 with all candidates being the same. Kang defeated Shariff by 98 votes after returns in the advanced polls showed he had won overwhelming victories. Kang's numbers increased upon the official recount to 118 votes. Shiraz Shariff and the Progressive Conservatives have challenged the vote in court claiming that the results of the advanced polling and special ballots was tainted. The challenge was not successful.
In the 2012 provincial election, Kang was initially declared to have been defeated by Wildrose candidate Grant Galpin, but was later declared re-elected after all polling stations, special ballots and advance polls were counted.
2012 general election
|2012 Alberta general election results||Turnout 48.5%|
|Wildrose||Grant D. Galpin||3,183||30.2%|
|Progressive Conservative||Muhammad Rasheed||3,093||29.3%|
|NDP||Colette Marie Singh||226||2.1%|
|Rejected, Spoiled and Declined|
|21,761 Eligible Electors|
2008 general election
|2008 Alberta general election results||Turnout 31.6%|
|Progressive Conservative||Shiraz Shariff||4,161||43.2%|
|Wildrose Alliance||Ina Given||542||5.6%|
|Rejected, Spoiled and Declined||68|
|30,669 Names on List of Electors|
2004 general election
|2004 Alberta general election results||Turnout 33.96%|
|Progressive Conservative||Shiraz Shariff||3,195||43.60%|
|Alberta Alliance||Ina Given||576||7.86%|
|Rejected, Spoiled and Declined||86|
|21,831 Eligible Electors|
- Renata D'Aliesio (March 8, 2008). "It's official: Liberal wins cliffhanger in McCall". Calgary Herald.
- "Defeated Calgary-McCall candidate claims election tainted". CBC News. March 11, 2008. Retrieved 2008-03-13.
- "Liberal incumbent wins tight race in Calgary-McCall". Calgary Herald, April 24, 2012.
- "Calgary-McCall Unofficial Results 2012 Alberta general election". Elections Alberta. Retrieved 2012-05-08.
- "Calgary-McCall Statement of Official Results 2008 Alberta general election". Elections Alberta. Retrieved 2011-01-26.
- "Calgary-McCall Statement of Official Results 2004 Alberta general election". Elections Alberta. Retrieved 2008-03-08.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Darshan Kang.|
|This article about an Alberta politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|