Darsi Ferrer Ramírez
He organized protests at the UNESCO headquarters in Havana and published about poverty in Cuba. He was arrested and went on a hunger strike. Ferrer was facing up to 8 years in prison. He was released on 22 June 2010.
On 23 March 2010, Ferrer Ramírez was the recipient of the 2009 State Department Freedom Defenders Award, Honorable Mention. This award recognized Ferrer’s work and bravery in the defense of human rights in Cuba.
- "Jailed dissident doctor to be charged". Miami Herald.
- "Doctor and journalist arrested and taken to Havana jail". Reporters Without Borders. Archived from the original on 2009-07-30.
- "Dissident doctor on hunger strike". Miami Herald.
- "Temen una dura condena para opositor".
- Real Cuba Blog, Dr. Darsi Ferrer has been released
- "Cuban human rights activist in maximum security prison must be released". Amnesty International.
- "Daily Press Briefing – March 23". U.S. Department of State.
|This article about a Cuban journalist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|