|Star Wars character|
Cover of Star Wars: Darth Plagueis
|Created by||George Lucas|
Darth Plagueis is a fictional character in the Star Wars franchise. In the story, he is a legendary Sith lord with power over death. Star Wars Legends works establish him as the master of Palpatine, who becomes the Emperor, Darth Sidious.
Revenge of the Sith
Darth Plagueis is first mentioned in the 2005 Star Wars prequel film Revenge of the Sith, during the opera scene. Darth Sidious, under his alternate persona of Chancellor Sheev Palpatine, tells Anakin Skywalker about the tragedy of Darth Plagueis "The Wise". Palpatine explains that Plagueis could prevent people from dying and "create life" through a special Sith power of The Force, unknown to the Jedi. Despite being able to prevent others from dying, Plagueis is killed in his sleep by his own apprentice. Later in the film, Palpatine as Sidious tempts Anakin to the dark side by promising to use this power to prevent Anakin's pregnant wife Padmé Amidala from dying, as Anakin has foreseen.
Star Wars Legends
|Series||Star Wars Legends|
|January 10, 2012|
|Followed by||Star Wars: Maul: Lockdown|
The character is featured in Star Wars: Darth Plagueis, a Star Wars Legends novel written by James Luceno released on January 10, 2012. The novel covers the later life and machinations of Sith lord Darth Plagueis, over a roughly fifty-year period pre-dating The Phantom Menace. The novel details Plagueis' overthrow of his own master Darth Tenebrous; his work as head of a powerful banking consortium on the Muun homeworld; his discovery, recruitment and training of the teenaged Palpatine of Naboo; and the efforts of Plagueis to undermine the Galactic Republic and ensure the dominance of the dark side of The Force.
Despite never appearing on screen, Darth Plagueis has remained a popular Star Wars character. The quote in which Darth Plagueis is mentioned in Revenge of the Sith has become a popular internet meme.
Some fan theories have suggested that Darth Sidious / Palpatine is Darth Plagueis in disguise. One theory regarding the origins and identity of the sequel trilogy's Supreme Leader Snoke is that he is Darth Plagueis.
- "The Legend of Darth Plagueis - Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith". StarWars.com. Retrieved June 20, 2019.
- Thomen, Daryl (January 19, 2012). "Latest Star Wars novel worth the wait". Newsday. Retrieved July 18, 2019.
- Hathaway, Jay (January 27, 2017). "Star Wars' Chancellor Palpatine Has Conquered the Meme Landscape". The Daily Dot. Retrieved July 1, 2019.
- "Star Wars 9 Theory: Palpatine Never Existed, It Was Always Darth Plagueis". Screen Rant. April 13, 2019.
- Trumbore, Dave (December 21, 2015). "Star Wars: The Force Awakens: Theories on Supreme Leader Snoke". Collider. Retrieved January 15, 2016.
- Tremeer, Eleanor (December 28, 2015). "Supreme Leader Snoke's Role In Star Wars Episode 8 Revealed By John Williams?!". Moviepilot. Archived from the original on February 2, 2017. Retrieved January 27, 2017.
- Maharana, Kabita (December 29, 2015). "Star Wars 8: Fan theories about Rey's origin and Supreme Leader Snoke's identity". International Business Times. New York City: Newsweek Media Group. Retrieved January 27, 2017.
- "Theory: Snoke Could Still Be Darth Plagueis After All, And Return as Star Wars 9's Real Villain". ScreenRant. November 8, 2018.