|Venue||Dartmouth College, Hanover, New Hampshire|
|Organised by||John McCarthy|
|Participants||Marvin Minsky, Nathaniel Rochester, Claude Shannon|
Organised by John McCarthy (then at Dartmouth College) and formally proposed by McCarthy, Marvin Minsky, Nathaniel Rochester and Claude Shannon, the proposal is credited with introducing the term 'artificial intelligence'.
The project lasted a month, and it was essentially an extended brainstorming session. The introduction states:
|“||We propose that a 2 month, 10 man study of artificial intelligence be carried out during the summer of 1956 at Dartmouth College in Hanover, New Hampshire. The study is to proceed on the basis of the conjecture that every aspect of learning or any other feature of intelligence can in principle be so precisely described that a machine can be made to simulate it. An attempt will be made to find how to make machines use language, form abstractions and concepts, solve kinds of problems now reserved for humans, and improve themselves. We think that a significant advance can be made in one or more of these problems if a carefully selected group of scientists work on it together for a summer.||”|
(McCarthy et al. 1955) 
The proposal goes on to discuss computers, natural language processing, neural networks, theory of computation, abstraction and creativity (these areas within the field of artificial intelligence are considered still relevant to the work of the field). According to Stottler Henke Associates, besides the proposal's authors, attendees at the conference included Ray Solomonoff, Oliver Selfridge, Trenchard More, Arthur Samuel, Herbert A. Simon, and Allen Newell.  
- History of artificial intelligence
- AI@50—a 50th anniversary conference, including some of the original delegates.
- McCarthy, John; Minsky, Marvin; Rochester, Nathan; Shannon, Claude (1955), A Proposal for the Dartmouth Summer Research Project on Artificial Intelligence retrieved 10:47 (UTC), 9th of April 2006
- Stottler-Henke retrieved 18:19 (UTC), 27th of July 2006
- Artificial Intelligence: Past, Present, and Future (Vox of Dartmouth)
- The Dartmouth Artificial Intelligence Conference: The Next Fifty Years
- 50 Años De La Inteligencia Artificial - Campus Multidisciplinar en Percepción e Inteligencia - Albacete 2006 (Spain).
|This artificial intelligence-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|