This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Berlin Institute for Critical Theory (Germany)
Das Argument: Zeitschrift für Philosophie und Sozialwissenschaften (English: The Argument: Journal for Philosophy and Social Sciences) is a German academic journal. It was established in 1959 as an independent West German journal of predominantly Marxist orientation. It appears six times a year.
The journal emerged from the protests against West German remilitarization. Since 1959, the editor-in-chief has been the Marxist philosopher Wolfgang Fritz Haug (Free University of Berlin). Das Argument is published by the Berlin Institute of Critical Theory (InkriT).
Each issue of the journal is devoted to a specific theme (e.g., in 2006 these have been "American Vistas", "Politics of Literature", "Female Migrants", "Thinking History Globally" and "Big Contradiction China"). The journal contains a substantial review section which is also derived from the original Zeitschrift für Sozialforschung. Among the topics covered are:
- Philosophy and Critical Theory
- Plural Marxism, Western Marxism, Open Marxism, Marxist feminism
- Critical History, analysis of capitalism, neoliberalism/neoliberal mode of production and way of life
- Social sciences
- Social theory, capitalist globalization, transnational class analysis
- Fascism theory, ideology theory, culture theory
- Literary science
- History of the labor movement
Abstracting and indexing
Das Argument is abstracted and indexed in:
- IBZ Online
- Periodicals Index Online
- MLA - Modern Language Association Database
- Philosopher's Index
- Haug, Wolfgang Fritz: Zur Neugründung des Arguments
- Korte, Peter, ed.: 30 Jahre Argument, Erfahrungen und Perspektiven, Interviews zu einem Jubiläum, Argument Verlag, Hamburg 1988.
- Official website (in German)