Dashboard of Sustainability
The Dashboard of Sustainability is a free-of-charge, non-commercial software package configured to convey the complex relationships among economic, social, and environmental issues. The software is designed to help developing countries achieve the Millennium Development Goals and work towards sustainable development. The software package was developed by members of the Consultative Group on Sustainable Development Indicators (CGSDI), and has been applied to quite a number of indicator sets, inter alia to the Millennium Development Goals indicators and the United Nations Commission on Sustainable Development indicators.
In 2002, Dashboard of Sustainability researchers Jochen Jesinghaus and Peter Hardi presented the Dashboard of Sustainability at the Johannesburg Summit and the 2002 World Social Forum in Porto Alegre. It was also included in the resources for the OECD World Forum on Key Indicators.
In January 2006, the Millennium Project utilized the Dashboard of Sustainability to conclude in their State of the Future report that global prospects for improving the overall health, wealth, and sustainability of humanity are improving, but slowly. In February 2006, it was proposed that the Dashboard of Sustainability be utilized to combine and represent two or more of the following five frameworks presently used for developing sustainability indicators: domain-based, goal-based, issue-based, sectoral, and causal frameworks.
Translating a spreadsheet into a dashboard is relatively straightforward, see The Manual, and numerous indicator sets have been translated into the dashboard format. While many of them are not publicly available, the following applications have been put online by their authors.
Applications with global scope
Millennium Development Goals Indicators Dashboard - see screenshot to the right
Sustainable Development Indicators Dashboard (UN CSD set)
UNESCO/SCOPE Policy brief on Sustainable Development 
Maternal and Neonatal Program Effort index (MNPI) 
Applications with national scope
- Azores regional dashboard
- Brazil: National multiannual plan (Plano Plurianual, PPA), Rural sustainability, Lages, Mato Grosso
- Greece regional dashboard
- India/West Bengal Monitoring of Public Health Progress
- Italy: Sicily waste management, agriculture indicators, Bienno, Bologna’s Ecological Footprint, Ecosistema Urbano, Padua, Liguria, Regional wellbeing indices, Varese PTCP
- Switzerland Regional Dashboard
- Tanzania Districts Dashboard
- Sustainable Development in the United States: An Experimental Set of Indicators
- Dashboard of Sustainability: a free, non-commercial software which allows to present complex relationships between economic, social and environmental issues in a highly communicative format aimed at decision-makers and citizens interested in Sustainable Development.
- MDG Dashboard: Millennium Development Indicators: download page for the latest version of the software, updated in September 2014.
- Consultative Group on Sustainable Development Indicators. (2006) Dashboard of Sustainability.; see also CGSDI history and CGSDI members, all obtained Apr. 11, 2007.
- IISD Earth Negotiations Bulletin (ENB) ENB on the side, Aug. 30, 2002 obtained Apr. 11, 2007
- Ranjit Devraj (TerraViva), Internet Dashboard Device for Navigating Development, obtained Apr. 11, 2007
- OECD (2004), European Union 2002, Dashboard of Sustainability, obtained Apr. 11, 2007
- Glenn, Jerome C.; Gordon, Theodore J. (Jan. 1, 2006) The Futurist. Update on the State of the Future: environmental sustainability, global partnerships against terror, technology, and drug availability figure in humanity's future.. Volume 40; Issue 1, Pg. 20. obtained Nov. 11, 2006.
- Olalla-Tárraga, Miguel Ángel (Feb. 1, 2006). International Journal of Sustainable Development and World Ecology. A conceptual framework to assess sustainability in urban ecological systems. Volume 13; Issue 1, Pg. 1. obtained Nov. 11, 2006.
- European Commission, Joint Research Centre (JRC), available as Africa only browser version or full download version for Windows, obtained Apr. 11, 2007
- European Commission, Joint Research Centre (JRC) CSD dashboard, obtained Apr. 11, 2007
- UNESCO, Scientific Committee on Problems of the Environment, Indicators of sustainable development: reliable tools for decision making, obtained Apr. 11, 2007
- Constella Futures, JRC browser version, obtained Apr. 11, 2007
- Natural Heritage Trust, Report Card Review and Concept Development, July 2004, p. 138-140, obtained Apr. 11, 2007
- M. Cristina Martinez-Fernandez, Tavis Potts, Marc Rerceretnam, Merete Bjorkli, Innovation at the Edges: The role of Innovation Drivers in South West Sydney, obtained Apr. 11, 2007
- Governo Regional dos Açores, Perspectivas para a sustentabilidade na região autónoma dos Açores, 45 MB zip archive obtained Apr. 11, 2007; shorter summary (page 7)
- Ministério de Planejamento, Secretaria de Planejamento e Investimentos Estratégicos: "Estudo da Dimensão Territorial do PPA, Modelo de Avaliação de Sustentabilidade", Brasilia Dezembro 2006; see also Hans Michael van Bellen: "Desenvolvimento Sustentável, Uma Descrição das Principais Ferramentas de Avaliação", Ambiente & Sociedade – Vol. VII nº. 1 jan./jun. 2004, both obtained 23 May 2007
- Alexandre Gervásio de Sousa; Alethéia Ferreira da Cruz; Francis Lee Ribeiro: Aplicação do Dashboard of Sustainability na Avaliação da Sustentabilidade do Desenvolvimento Rural Local; Universidade Federal De Goiás, Goiânia, GO, Brasil, in: XLIV Congresso da Sociedade Brasileira de Economia e Sociologia e Rural; Questões Agrárias, Educação no Campo e Desenvolvimento, Julho, 2006 – "Livro de Resumos", obtained 22 May 2007
- Luciana Borba Benetti: "Avaliação do Índice de Desenvolvimento Sustentável (IDS) do Município de Lages/SC Através do Método do Painel de Sustentabilidade"
- Indicadores de Desenvolvimento Sustentável: "Metodologia de Cálculo", obtained 18 January 2015
- Despina Kallidromitou, Yiannis Smirlis, Marc Bonazountas (NTUA 2004), Assessing Regional Sustainability in Greece, obtained April 11, 2007; see also this report in Greek, obtained 30 May 2007
- Technical Assistance Support Team Health Systems Development Initiative (DHFW, GoWB, 2008), , obtained September 29, 2010
- A. Governanti, M. La Gennusa, G. Rizzo & G. Scaccianoce (2004), Synthetic environmental appraisal of waste management systems: an application to the Sicilian region, also as PDF
- Antonella Trisorio (INEA 2004): Measuring Sustainability: Indicators for Italian Agriculture
- Certificazione EMAS Comune di Bienno, Progetto Dashboard, obtained Oct. 4, 2010
- Provincia di Bologna, Pannello di controllo della sostenibilità, obtained Apr. 11, 2007
- Ambiente Italia, Ecosistema Urbano, obtained Apr. 11, 2007
- Antonio Scipioni, Anna Mazzi, Francesca Arena, Laura Fornasiero, Aggregated indexes to measure urban sustainability. The experience of Padua Municipality: a Quality of Life Observatory, obtained Apr. 11, 2007
- Andrea Picollo, Regione Liguria, Sediment Quality evaluation TRIAD Approach using Dashboard software, obtained Apr. 11, 2007
- Dott. Bruno Ricca, Dott. Antonino Genovesi, Prof. Mario Monastero (Univ. di Messina), XXII Conferenza italiana di scienze regionali: La misurazione del benessere tra crescita e sviluppo: il caso delle regioni italiane, obtained Apr. 11, 2007
- Provincia di Varese: "Piano Territoriale di Coordinamento Provinciale, Valutazione del PTCP", 2006, obtained 23 May 2007
- Keskkonnaministeerium, Sustainable Estonia 21, obtained Apr. 11, 2007
- Keskkonnaministeerium, Jätkusuutlikkuse näidikulaud, obtained Apr. 11, 2007 (available in Estonian and English)
- Vicente Carabias-Hütter, David Kümin & Dominik Siegrist, Fostering Sustainable Regional Development p. 138-140, obtained Apr. 11, 2007
- REPOA on behalf of the Research and Analysis Working Group, Ministry of Planning, Economy and Empowerment, The United Republic of Tanzania, Poverty and Human Development Report 2005,; as Dashboard downloadable here, both obtained May 25, 2007
- U.S. Interagency Working Group on Sustainable Development Indicators, Washington, D.C. The Sustainability Dashboard, September 2001, obtained Apr. 11, 2007; see also Table of contents