Map of Azerbaijan showing Dashkasan rayon
|• Total||1,047 km2 (404 sq mi)|
|Telephone code||(+994) 22|
The district is located in northwestern Azerbaijan, 33–41 km away from Ganja city and on northeastern edge of Lesser Caucasus rising 1,600-1,800 meters above sea level. The regional capital of the raion is Dashkasan city located by Qoshqar River on a mountain. The capital was established as an urban facility on March 16, 1948, after the end of World War I, mainly to explore and mine iron ore and other natural resources.
The rayon itself was founded as an administrative center in 1930 and was named Dastafur until 1956 when it was renamed to Dashkasan. In 1963, the rayon status was eliminated and Dashkasan province was merged with Khanlar Rayon. However, in 1965, it was split again and Dashkasan regained its administrative rayon status. There is one city, six city type settlements and 42 villages in Dahskasan Rayon. Dashkasan rayon shares an 8 km border with Armenia and 24.5 km border with Shamkir Rayon, 23 km border with Kalbajar Rayon, 41 km border with Gadabay Rayon, 56.3 km border with Khanlar Rayon.
- Azerbaijani Language 100%
The rayon covers the Dashkasan plateau of the Lesser Caucasian Mountain range encompassing parts and tips of Shahdagh and Murovdag ranges. The highest altitudes are at Hinaldag Peak (3,367 meters) and Qoshqar Peak (3,361 meters). Part of Bashkend-Dastafur lowlands also falls in Dashkasan rayon. This part of the region is rich with cretaceous chalk. Average annual rainfall is 600–900 mm. It mostly rains during spring time. The mountains are enriched with oak forests.
There are also so-called treatment springs containing pure mountain water which cleanse the internal organs.
- Yumurtalı spring - Qabaqtəpə village;
- Narzan spring - Yuxarı Daşkəsən settlement;
- Turşsu spring - Alaxançallı village;
- Qiblə spring - Qabaqtəpə kəndi;
- Qayğı spring - Qabaqtəpə kəndi;
- Böyrək spring - Alunitdağ settlement;
- İdris spring - Əmirvar village;
- Seyid spring - Xoşbulaq village.
In Dashkasan locale the temperature changes from -5 C to -20 C in winter and from +20 C to +35 C in summer. The average annual temperature is 0-100 in Dashkaran. The average monthly temperature in January is -2-140, the average monthly temperature of July is + 5-200. Sometimes the absolute maximum temperature of air is higher than + 20-310, the absolute minimum temperature of air is lower than 20-300 in summer. In the middle mountain range, the average absolute minimum air temperature changes from +50 to +70 during the year. The average annual soil surface temperature is + 80, the average temperature of January is -50, the average monthly July temperature is 210. The average annual relative humidity of the air is 75% and changes between 67-82% per year. The annual rainfalls in the area are 600–900 mm. Most of the rainfalls fall in the spring. The possible evaporation is 300–800 mm from the soil surface in a year.
- The state statistical committee of the Azerbaijan Republic
- "Şəhərlərarası telefon kodları". Aztelekom MMC. Aztelekom İB. Retrieved 19 August 2015. (in Azerbaijani)
- "Dashkasan Executive Power". Retrieved 2010-07-26.
- Census table for Azerbaijani cities Archived 2015-04-19 at the Wayback Machine
- Political division, population size and structure: Population by towns and regions of the Republic of Azerbaijan. "Population | The State Statistical Committee of the Republic of Azerbaijan". The State Statistical Committee of the Republic of Azerbaijan. Retrieved 2018-11-22.
- "Rayon haqqında - DAŞKƏSƏN RAYON Icra Hakimiyyəti". dashkesen-ih.gov.az. Retrieved 2018-11-22.
- "VAHİD MƏRKƏZLƏŞDİRİLMİŞ KİTABXANA PORTALI". dashkasan.cls.az. Retrieved 2018-11-22.