Data Observation Network for Earth (DataONE) is a platform for environmental and ecological science, to provide access to Earth observational data. Supported by funding from the US National Science Foundation as one of the initial DataNet programs in 2009, funding was renewed in 2014 through April 2015. DataONE helps preserve, access, use, and reuse of multi-discipline scientific data through the construction of primary cyberinfrastructure and an education and outreach program. DataONE provides scientific data archiving for ecological and environmental data produced by scientists. DataONE's goal is to preserve and provide access to multi-scale, multi-discipline, and multi-national data. Users include scientists, ecosystem managers, policy makers, students, educators, librarians, and the public.
DataONE links together existing cyberinfrastructure to provide a distributed framework, management, and technologies that enable long-term preservation of multi-scale, multi-discipline, and multi-national observational data. The distributed framework is composed of Coordinating Nodes located at the Oak Ridge Campus at Tennessee, University of California Santa Barbara, and University of New Mexico, and member nodes. DataONE also provides resources including tools for accessing and using it.
The three coordinating nodes provide network-wide services to member nodes. They are geographically replicated, with mirrored content and full copies of science metadata. William Michener of the University of New Mexico (UNM) directed the project, and UNM is one of the coordinating nodes. Coordinating nodes are UNM, Oak Ridge Campus (partnership of Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) and University of Tennessee), and the University of California, Santa Barbara.
Member nodes consist of Earth observing institutions, projects, and networks. They provide resources for their own data and replicated data, and focus on serving their specific constituencies. These member nodes are geographically distributed and include:
- Cornell Lab of Ornithology eBird 
- Dryad 
- Earth Data Analysis Center (EDAC) 
- Environmental Data for the Oak Ridge Area (EDORA) 
- Ecological Society of America (ESA) Data Registry 
- Europe Long-Term Ecosystem Research Network (LTER Europe) 
- Global Lake Ecological Observatory Network (GLEON) 
- Gulf of Alaska Data Portal 
- International Arctic Research Center (IARC) Data Archive 
- Knowledge Network for Biocomplexity 
- Long Term Ecological Research Network (LTER) 
- Merritt Repository 
- Minnesota Population Center (MPC) 
- Montana IoE Data Repository 
- Nevada Research Data Center 
- New Mexico Experimental Program to Stimulate Competitive Research (NM EPSCoR) 
- NOAA National Centers for Environmental Information (NCEI) Oceanographic Data Archive
- ONEShare Repository 
- ORNL Distributed Active Archive Center 
- Partnership for Interdisciplinary Studies of Coastal Oceans (PISCO) 
- Program for Research on Biodiversity (PPPBio) 
- Regional and Global Biogeochemical Dynamics Data (RGD) 
- SANParks Data Repository 
- SEAD Virtual Archive 
- Taiwan Forestry Research Institute 
- Terrestrial Ecosystem Research Network (TERN) 
- University of Kansas - Biodiversity Institute 
- USA National Phenology Network 
- USGS Science Data Catalog (SDC) 
Investigator Tool Kit
The Tool Kit provides tools for researchers to access DataONE. These are both general purpose and discipline-specific tools, and developers adapt existing tools where possible. The tool kit includes Java and Python libraries, an R programming language plug-in for analysis, extensions for Excel, the VisTrails scientific workflow, and the Kepler scientific workflow system.
DataONE provides a place for scientists to store data and its associated metadata. The metadata makes this data searchable and accessible to other scientists. Data management practices include
- Data management planning
- Data acquisition (techniques, protocols, methods)
- Data protection (backing up)
- Data entry and manipulation (naming files, organization) Matlab, R
- Quality control on data
- Data analysis
- Workflow tools (VisTrails, Kepler scientific workflow system)
- Data documentation (metadata)
- Data sharing, citation, and discovery
- Data preservation and curation
Some of the additional data management planning resources include: a primer for best practices, a database for best practices in data management, educational modules and tutorials, webinars, and an investigator toolkit. These have been used or adapted for use under Creative Commons license by organizations and institutions that seek to educate other communities about data and research management. Understanding different audiences of users led to the development of possible user personas as models for users such as early-career researchers, science data librarians, citizen scientists or K-12 educators.
DataONE collaborates with other institutions to bring together tools that help with data management practices. One of those tools, developed in collaboration with other organizations and hosted by the University of California Digital Curation Center, is the DMPTool for data management planning. The DMP Tool is used by and referenced by many research data management plans and institutions in the US and around the world. Another recent collaboration in this area is the shared construction of a Data Management Training Clearinghouse for Earth sciences, in partnership with USGS and the Community for Data Integration (CDI). 
The DataONE community includes research networks, professional societies, libraries, academic institutions, data centers, data repositories, environmental observatory networks, educators, scientists, policy makers, administrators, citizen scientists, international organizations, NGOs, ecosystem managers, students, private companies and the public. DataONE has a users group that meets yearly to provide feedback.
- "DataONE". DataONE. Retrieved 2016-04-21.
- "DataNet Full Proposal: DataNetONE (Observation Network for Earth)". Award abstract #0830944. National Science Foundation. August 26, 2014. Retrieved May 7, 2017.
- "Investigator Toolkit". Web page. DataONE. Retrieved May 7, 2017.
- "DataONE (Observation Network for Earth) Project at UNM Receives $20 Million Award". Press release. University of New Mexico. November 18, 2009. Archived from the original on November 27, 2009. Retrieved May 7, 2017.
- "Welcome to eBird". eBird.org. Retrieved 2016-04-21.
- "Dryad Digital Repository - Dryad". Datadryad.org. Retrieved 2016-04-21.
- "Earth Data Analysis Center | Center for Geospatial & Information Technology Services". Edac.unm.edu. Retrieved 2016-04-21.
- "Environmental Data for the Oak Ridge Area : Search". Mercury-ops2.ornl.gov. Retrieved 2016-04-21.
- "ESA Data Registry". Data.esa.org. Retrieved 2016-04-21.
- "Taking Europe's pulse - Research for our continent's future — LTER in Europe". Lter-europe.net. Retrieved 2016-04-21.
- "GLEON". GLEON. Retrieved 2016-04-21.
- "Gulf of Alaska Data Portal". Portal.aoos.org. Retrieved 2016-04-21.
- "The IARC Data Archive at UAF, an AA/EO employer and educational institution". Climate.iarc.uaf.edu. 2007-08-23. Retrieved 2016-04-21.
- "Cumulative human impacts data (2008 and 2013) Halpern B, et al. 2015". Knb.ecoinformatics.org. Archived from the original (JSP) on 2013-11-13. Retrieved 2016-04-21.
- The Long Term Ecological Research Network. "The Long Term Ecological Research Network | Long-term, broad-scale research to understand our world". Lternet.edu. Retrieved 2016-04-21.
- "UC3 Merritt Home :". Merritt.cdlib.org. Retrieved 2016-04-21.
- "MPC Data Projects". Ipums.org. Retrieved 2016-04-21.
- "Current Member Nodes". DataONE. Retrieved 2016-04-21.
- "Nevada Research Data Center". Sensor.nevada.edu. Retrieved 2016-04-21.
- "Current Member Nodes". DataONE. Retrieved 2016-04-21.
- "Dash". Oneshare.cdlib.org. Archived from the original on 2016-03-25. Retrieved 2016-04-21.
- "ORNL DAAC for Biogeochemical Dynamics". Daac.ornl.gov. doi:10.1016/j.foreco.2008.11.016. Retrieved 2016-04-21.
- "Pisco | Pisco". Data.piscoweb.org. Retrieved 2016-04-21.
- "Regional and Global Data Available Through Mercury". Daac.ornl.gov. 2010-03-18. doi:10.1016/j.foreco.2008.11.016. Retrieved 2016-04-21.
- "South African National Parks - SANParks - Official Website - Accommodation, Activities, Prices, Reservations". SANParks.org.za. Retrieved 2016-04-21.
- "SEAD | A Knowledge Network for Collaboration, Data Curation, and Discovery". Sead-data.net. Retrieved 2016-04-21.
- "TFRI Metacat Data Catalog". Metacat.tfri.gov.tw. Retrieved 2016-04-21.
- "Terrestrial Ecosystem Research Network: Home". TERN. Retrieved 2016-04-21.
- "KU Biodiversity Institute & Natural History Museum". Biodiversity.ku.edu. Retrieved 2016-04-21.
- "USA National Phenology Network | USA National Phenology Network". Usanpn.org. 2016-04-15. Retrieved 2016-04-21.
- "U.S. Geological Survey Science Data Catalog". Data.usgs.gov. Retrieved 2016-04-21.
- "Users Group". DataONE. Retrieved 2016-04-21.