|Founder||Mike Baker, R. Bruce Journey, Willard Simmons and Sandro Catanzaro|
|Headquarters||Boston, MA, United States|
|Mike Baker (co-Founder & CEO)|
|Products||Programmatic marketing software|
dataxu is a software company, based in Boston that produces cloud-based software for marketing professionals and founded the OpenRTB consortium. The company has offices in North America, India, Singapore, Australia, Germany, the United Kingdom, Spain, Italy and France.
dataxu uses combinatorial algorithms originally developed for guiding NASA’s Mars mission plans by company co-founder Willard Simmons, while he was attending his graduate studies at the MIT aeronautics and astronautics lab of Professor Ed Crawley. The company was founded by Willard Simmons, Mike Baker, R. Bruce Journey and Sandro Catanzaro in 2009 with headquarters in Boston. In 2011, dataxu co-founded the OpenRTB consortium (now the RTB Project) that produced a standard for programmatic media that was adopted by the Interactive Advertising Bureau. In 2012 dataxu acquired the company Mexad and in 2014 JasperLabs. As of that year dataxu had raised $55.8 million in financing and had revenues of $118 million. By 2015 the company was valued at $1 billion USD. In 2016 the company received $10 million in financing from SkyMedia.
dataxu's TouchPoint platform is a real-time bidding platform that shows fifty billion ads for purchase each day, where clients purchase ad space in accordance with the recommendations of dataxu's algorithms. Client data is assimilated into the platform, which analyzes what ads from a particular campaign have engaged with customers in desired ways. It then follows the behavioral trail of those users to determine the efficacy of the ads shown on its platform. This information is used to produce predictive analysis of what various ad spaces will result in and how users will behave. Companies that use the platform include Butler, Shine, Stern & Partners, Epson, Universal, Lexus and Sony. The platform is enabled with anti-fraud detection, which prevent fraudulent ad space from being sold. The data from this is compiled into an annual Advertising Fraud Report. DataXu also refunds money to clients who have purchased fraudulent ads. In 2016, the platform added a pre-bid viewability function.
- "dataxu". CrunchBase. April 2014.
- "dataxu's Management Team". dataxu. April 2014.
- "About dataxu". dataxu.com. 2017-02-07. Retrieved 2017-02-07.
- "From Mars To Big Data". Business Insider. Retrieved 15 September 2014.
- "IAB Guidelnies for RTB". boston.com. Retrieved 15 September 2014.
- "OpenRTB Consortium Garners Broad Support Over 70 Companies Across Advertising Ecosystem". yahoo.com. Archived from the original on 10 September 2014. Retrieved 15 September 2014.
- "Mexad To Help Drive dataxu's DX3 Platform And Global, Brand Advertising Aspirations Says CEO Baker". AdExchanger. Retrieved 15 September 2014.
- "dataxu acquires San Francisco software company JasperLabs". Boston Business Journal. Retrieved 15 September 2014.
- "dataxu's Company Profile". CrunchBase. Retrieved 15 September 2014.
- "Inc. Revenue Survey: MediaMath Topped $310M In 2013, dataxu $118M". AdExchanger. Retrieved 15 September 2014.
- "Watch out, Wall Street: 27 tech IPOs to expect in 2015 - VentureBeat - Business - by Jordan Novet". VentureBeat.
- "Sky invests $10m in programmatic ad tech specialist dataxu".
- "Boston's Next Gold Mine". boston.com. Retrieved 15 September 2014.
- Jesus Mena. Data Mining Mobile Devices. p. 118.
- Mike Smith. Targeted: How Technology is Revolutionizing Advertising and the Way ... pp. 116–117.
- "dataxu CEO Confirms He Will File For An IPO". Business Insider. Retrieved 15 September 2014.
- "dataxu Releases Report On Ad Fraud: Auto, CPG And Telecom Sectors Most Affected".
- George Slefo. (7 April 2016). "Programmatic Players Offer Ad Fraud Refunds, Call Out OAAA - Digital - AdAge".
- "dataxu Debuts Pre-Bid Viewability Function".
- "dataxu Tops Inc 500 as No 1 Fastest-growing Advertising Marketing Company". Tech Crunch. Retrieved 15 September 2014.
- "dataxu: #5 fastest growing private company in the US in 2013". Inc Magazine. Retrieved 15 September 2014.
- "dataxu CEO Mike Baker Named Ernst & Young Entrepreneur Of The Year(R) 2013 Award Winner". Yahoo. Retrieved 15 September 2014.