This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Securities financing data and daily long and short institutional fund flow insight
|Founder||Charles Stopford Sackville & Mark Faulkner|
Number of locations
|4 offices in 3 countries |
|Europe, Asia, US|
|Donal Smith, Jonathan Morris, Charlotte Wall, Christopher Hanson, Len Welter|
Number of employees
Data Explorers is a privately owned financial data and software company headquartered in London, UK with offices in New York, US, Edinburgh and Hong Kong. The company provides financial benchmarking information to the Securities lending Industry and short-side intelligence to the Investment Management community. The company has a global dataset covering $12 trillion of securities in the lending programs of over 20,000 institutional funds.
Data Explorers offers access to quantitative measurement of securities lending, performance and risk. The company provides analytics and data compiled from trade and inventory data provided by market participants including Lenders, Beneficial Owners, Custodian Banks, Agency Lenders, Borrowers, Hedge Funds and Broker Dealers.
Data Explorers was established in 2002 by Charles Stopford Sackville and Mark Faulkner, the author of the Guide to Securities Lending Markets. Donal Smith, formerly of Thomson Reuters, was announced as CEO on 4 March 2008.
Data Explorers was ranked 27th amongst the top 30 fastest growing UK private equity backed companies in The Sunday Times Deloitte Buyout Track 100 on 8 Feb 2011.
At the Financial World Innovation Awards on 2 Dec 2011, Data Explorers won the Information Provision Award for the Data Explorers News service.
2 April 2012: Markit, a leading, global financial information services company, announced the acquisition of Data Explorers, a leading provider of global securities lending data, from mid-market private equity firm Bowmark Capital.
Services and products
The Data Explorers database tracks $12 trillion of lendable securities, with $2 trillion of loan balances on average covering 30,000 equities, 40,000 corporate bonds and 80,000 government bonds. The company products include APIs, Data Feeds, Excel Toolkits, Mobile Apps, web-based platforms and channel partners including Bloomberg LLC, Thomson Reuters, Factset, Markit and Capital IQ.
Markit announced a new index on Sep 16 2009, the Markit Data Explorers U.S. Sector Sentiment Index, that reflects sector-level investor sentiment derived from securities lending and short-selling information.
Nasdaq OMX announced a new index based on Data Explorers stock loan information to replicate return and volatility characteristic of the Nasdaq-100 Index on May 5, 2011. The index screens out stocks with low liquidity or those that are relatively expensive to borrow in the share-lending market.
Data Explorers launched the first iPhone app for the securities finance industry on 31 Jan 2012 for Hedge Funds, Prime Brokers and Custodians to access daily information on 3 million transactions.
On 5 Feb 2012, Data Explorers was ranked for the second year in a row in the Sunday Times Deloitte Buyout Track 100.
- "Office Locations".
- Rebuilding the House Builders Squawk Box, CNBC, June 16, 2008
- Guide to securities lending markets commissioned by the Association of Corporate Treasurers, British Bankers' Association, International Securities Lending Association, London Investment Banking Association, London Stock Exchange and the Securities Lending and Repo Committee by Mark Faulkner
- Ben Harrington, 'Bowmark in £32m alarm firm deal', in The Daily Telegraph, January 9, 2012, p. B3
-  Buyout Track 100
- Securities Lending Industry Awards 2011
- Data Explorers scoops Global Investor/isf Data Provider 2011 Award for the third year running
- 2011 techMark award winners announced
-  Financial World Innovation Awards
- Markit Acquires Securities Lending Analytics Specialist Data Explorers
- Short-sellers not to blame for HBOS price fall says ISLA chief, James Mackintosh, Financial Times, June 18 2008
- Nasty, brutish and short, The Economist print edition, June 19 2008
- The Financial Short-Selling Spike, David Gaffen, Marketbeat, The Wall Street Journal, July 17 2008
- Hedge Funds Covered Bradford & Bingley Shorts as Lender Rallied, Tom Cahill, Bloomberg News, June 26 2008
- Thomson Reuters Adds Data Explorers Analysis
- Data Explorers Expands Distribution Capabilities Through Factset Deal
- New index to gauge securities lending, short selling
- Data Explorers Adds Long and Short Fund Flow Data to Bloomberg
- FT.com to include short selling activity from Data Explorers
- Nasdaq-100 Data Explorers Optimized Index Launched To Enhance Liquidity
- Nasdaq Rolls Out Optimized Nasdaq-100
- Deltix seeks alpha with Data Explorers
-  Score one for Data Explorers
- New Edge for Data Explorers
- Data Explorers launched robot journalist
- Hedge funds access securities lending data on the move with Data Explorers app
- Sunday Times Buyout Track 100