|Founder||Mike Danson, Doug Wilson|
Datamonitor is an international company providing market intelligence, data analysis, and opinion via a worldwide network of in-house analysts. The company tracks Automotive, Consumer Markets, Energy & Utilities, Financial Services, Logistics & Express, Pharmaceutical & Healthcare, Retail, Technology, Sourcing and Telecommunications markets. Its website claims to have over 6,000 clients, which it helps make strategic and operational decisions. Datamonitor was acquired in 2007 by Informa for £513 million in cash.
The company was founded in 1989 by Mike Danson and Doug Wilson with its first report covering the UK Frozen Food Industry. The company then expanded its coverage to include a number of markets and industries having secured further business intelligence companies. In 1995, it expanded into the U.S. market by opening an office in New York. In 1999, it opened an office in Frankfurt, Germany, and Hong Kong. In November 2000 Datamonitor went public on the London Stock Exchange.
In 2007 Datamonitor was acquired by Informa (FTSE: INF) in 2007 for £513 million in cash, a surprisingly large amount considering it was "a multiple of more than seven times Datamonitor’s revenue". In 2011 Informa closed down Datamonitor offices in Hyderabad, India, and Dubai, which had been opened in 2006 and 2007, respectively. In February 2015 parent company Informa wrote down Datamonitor's value of by almost 40%, and Informa CEO Stephen Carter said that it was considering selling "some of the 'consumer forecasting' businesses that were part of the Datamonitor deal".
On July 27, 2015, Progressive Digital Media, a business chaired by Datamonitor founder Mike Danson, announced that it had agreed to acquire Datamonitor Financial, Datamonitor Consumer, MarketLine and Verdict businesses from Informa for a combined cash price of £25m. Datamonitor Healthcare and Datamonitor Energy remain businesses of Informa plc.
- Computerwire (2002)
- Productscan Online (2004)
- eBenchmarkers (2004)
- Butler Research Group (2005)
- Verdict Research (2005)
- Ovum Ltd. (2006)
- Life Science Analytics (2006)
- Brown Wilson Group (2009)
- Packtrack (2010)
Many of the acquired companies continue to have an independent brand presence within Datamonitor.
- Carlos Grande; Andrew Edgecliffe-Johnson (May 14, 2007). "Datamonitor accepts £513m bid". Financial Times.
- "Our History". Datamonitor. Archived from the original on 17 February 2015. Retrieved 14 February 2015.
- Joanne Wallen (February 26, 2001). "Energetic year for Datamonitor". Citywire Money.
- "Datamonitor PLC – Final Results". FE Investegate. 26 February 2001.
- Cookson, Robert (February 12, 2015). "Informa writes down value of Datamonitor by almost 40%". Financial Times.
- "Progressive Digital Media to buy some assets from Informa". Reuters. 27 July 2015.
- Shah, Saeed, "Retailing guru nets £4.7m from sale of Verdict", The Independent, 19 May 2005
- Wilson, James, "Ovum is bought for £42m to strengthen technology", Financial Times, 21 October 2006
- "Datamonitor acquires Brown-Wilson Group", Entrepreneur.com, May 2009
- "Datamonitor Group Acquires Research Organization Pack-Track". Package Design Magazine, 5 May 2010