Datarock performing at Virgin Festival Ontario day 2 2009
|Genres||Electronic rock, dance-punk, post-punk revival|
|Years active||2000 – present|
|Labels||Young Aspiring Professionals (current), Dim Mak Records (former)|
|Members||Fredrik Saroea, Kjetil Møster, Adrian Meehan, Thomas Larssen|
|Past members||Kevin O'Brien, Tom Mæland, Ketil Mosnes, Tarjei Strøm|
Datarock is a Norwegian electronic rock band. The band, known for wearing red jumpsuits, formed in 2000. Original personnel were Fredrik Saroea, Ketil Mosnes and Kevin O'Brien, who soon hired Tom Mæland. O'Brien and Mæland later left the band, but the duo of Saroea and Mosnes continued the project.
The band has released three EPs and their debut album, Datarock Datarock, was released in 2005 in 10 countries on the band's own label, YAP (Young Aspiring Professionals), receiving favourable reviews, especially in the UK. They made an appearance in Australia's Triple J Hottest 100 with the single "Computer Camp Love" in 2005, placing at #12. Fredrick has commented that Australia was the only country to pick up Datarock early aside from their homeland. This song was #88 on Rolling Stone's list of the 100 Best Songs of 2007.
Their song "Fa-Fa-Fa" was featured in a Coca-Cola advert, and is also featured in "Ace Ventura Jr: Pet Detective", NHL 08, FIFA 08, and NBA Live 08. It also appears in The Sims 2: Free Time, and The Sims' video team was asked to create a custom music video for "Fa-Fa-Fa." Another one of their songs, "New Song," is featured in Madden NFL 08. In addition, "I Used To Dance With My Daddy" is featured in UEFA Euro 2008 and Need For Speed: ProStreet (only remix version), also "True Stories" is featured in FIFA 09. Datarock is also featured in FIFA 10 with "Give it Up."
Datarock was also featured in an Apple advertisement for the fourth generation iPod Nano. The ad showed the song "Fa-Fa-Fa" playing on an orange iPod Nano. The coverart for Datarock Datarock was also shown. "Fa-Fa-Fa" is also featured as a free premium track on the iPhone/iPod Touch game Tap Tap Revenge 3.
Fredrik Saroea also has solo aspirations and has recorded several individual tracks, including a duet with fellow Norwegian pop-star Annie for the song "I Will Always Remember You," which has been included on later presses of the band's debut LP.
Their song "Amarillion" was used in a key scene in the Chuck episode Chuck Vs. The Nacho Sampler.
- Current members
- Fredrik Saroea – vocals, guitars, drums, keyboards (2000–present)
- Kjetil Møster – saxophone, percussion, keyboards, vocals (2000–present)
- Adrian Meehan – drums (2000–present)
- Thomas Larssen – bass guitar (also plays in the band Ralph Myerz and the Jack Herren Band) (2010–present)
- Past members
- Kevin O'Brien – vocals (2000)
- Tom Mæland – keyboards (2000–2003)
- Ketil Mosnes – bass, programming, keyboards, backing vocals (2000–2010)
- Tarjei Strøm – drums (also plays in the band Ralph Myerz and the Jack Herren Band) (2009–2014)
- The Underground* (2013)
- Triple J Hottest 100 2005 Top 20
- Musicfeeds.com.au with Fredrick from Datarock
- No byline (December 11, 2007) "The 100 Best Songs of 2007" Rolling Stone Retrieved 2007-12-21
- The Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs (26 August 2008). "Datarock success". Norway.org. Retrieved 2008-08-26.
- "The Sims 2: Free Time Videos". thesims2.com. Archived from the original on 2009-03-01. Retrieved 2009-04-23.
- FIFA 10 Soundtrack
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Datarock.|
- Official website
- Datarock article June 2007
- Contact Music: interview
- Gamertell: interview
- Gigwise: article
- TNT: interview
Fredrik Saroea (born. 31 August 1976)
Kjetil Møster (born. 17 June 1976)
Ketil Mosnes (born. 26 September 1976)
Kevin O'Brien (born 9 March 1979)
Tarjei Strøm (born 26 October 1978)
Tom Mæland (born 28 October 1976)