|Public Company (JSE) and (AIM)|
|Headquarters||Johannesburg, South Africa|
|Jens Montanana, CEO|
Number of employees
Datatec Limited, also known as Datatec Group, is a Johannesburg, South Africa-based multinational information and communications technology (ICT) solutions and services group. The group's main divisions are: Westcon International, dba Westcon-Comstor, a technology distributor; Logicalis, an IT solutions and managed services provider; and the companies Datatec Financial Services and Analysys Mason, which provide financing; and telecommunications, media and technology (TMT) consulting services, respectively.
In June 1998, Datatec acquired a 92.5% stake in US distributor Westcon, for $160 million. The company then consolidated its five continent distribution business under the Westcon brand.
In 1999, Datatec acquired communications consultantcy Mason Communications.
In 2004, Datatec acquired UK-based telecommunications research and consultancy firm Analysys for £12.8m. Analysys was merged with Mason Communications and the new company was renamed Analysys Mason Group (AMG).
In October 2006, the company was listed on the Alternative Investment Market (AIM) of the London Stock Exchange.
In May 2014, the company spun off Mason Advisory from Analysys Mason, to focus on IT, cloud, security and mobile technology consulting.
In June 2017, Datatec announced they were selling the North and Latin American operations of Westcon-Comstor, along with 10% of the remaining part of Westcon (Westcon International) to Fremont, CA-based IT supply chain services company Synnex, for a reported $800 million.
Datatec's companies are in three divisions:
- Westcon International - a value-added distributor of security, collaboration, networking and datacentre solutions.
IT solutions and managed services
- Logicalis - an information and communications technology infrastructure and service provider.
Consulting and financial services
- Analysys Mason - a global consultancy and research firm specializing in the telecommunications, media and technology (TMT) sector.
- Datatec Financial Services - a financial services provider for customers and suppliers of Logicalis and Westcon-Comstor.
- Robinson, Duncan (17 October 2012). "Datatec seeks Latin American growth". Financial Times. Retrieved 4 May 2013.
- "Datatec 2017 Integrated report". datatec-reports.co.za. Retrieved 2017-09-15.
- "Datatec acquires majority stake in foreign cloud firm". fin24.com. 2017-07-04. Retrieved 2017-09-15.
- "Datatec celebrates 20 years on the JSE". cnbcafrica.com. 2014-12-02. Retrieved 2017-09-15.
- "Once a Cape Town startup". brainstormmag.co.za. 2003-01-01. Retrieved 2017-10-02.
- "Datatec subsidiary Logicalis launches SA division". itweb.co.za. 2017-03-17. Retrieved 2017-09-15.
- "Logical opts for name change". itnews.com.au. 2017-10-27. Retrieved 2017-09-15.
- "Datatec in radical restructure". moneyweb.co.za. 2017-04-10. Retrieved 2017-09-15.
- "Datatec forms standalone IT consultancy". computerweekly.com. 2004-08-11. Retrieved 2017-09-15.
- "Datatec is to sell its UUNet for R850m". iol.co.za. 2000-11-15. Retrieved 2017-10-02.
- "Datatec buys Analysys for £12.8m". theregister.co.uk. 2004-08-11. Retrieved 2017-09-15.
- "Datatec Forms Mason Advisory". rrmediagroup.com. 2014-05-20. Retrieved 2017-09-15.
- "Datatec reaches agreement to sell Westcon-Comstor". itweb.co.za. 2017-06-06. Retrieved 2017-09-15.
- "Westcon's parent lands in Australia with finance business". crn.com.au. 2016-09-05. Retrieved 2017-09-15.