|Population||1,524 (2011 Census)|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||East of England|
Datchworth is a village and civil parish between the towns of Hertford, Stevenage and Welwyn Garden City in the county of Hertfordshire, England. Sited on the Roman road from St Albans to Puckeridge, the village has examples of Saxon clearings in several locations. Datchworth has a village green where there two pubs (The Plough and The Tilbury) and a sports club. There are three other pubs in the parish: The Horns at Bulls Green, The White Horse at Burnham Green and Three Horse Shoes at Hooks Cross. In the 2001 Census the population was 1,065, increasing to 1,524 at the 2011 Census.
The name Datchworth is thought to originate from a Saxon lord called Daecca (pronounced Datcher), who settled here around the year 700 AD. 'Worth' comes from the word Wyrthe, which means enclosure.
However, Datchworth was certainly occupied well before 700 AD. There are two large Belgic sites, only one of which has been partly investigated. Much of the parish boundary still follows the old Belgic ditches.
Standing at the eastern side of Datchworth Green is the whipping post. Its last recorded use was on 27 July 1665 when two 'vagabonds' were publicly flogged. Stocks stood near the post too, but there is no trace of them now. The stocks are thought to have been removed in 1899, however, there are stocks located close to the All Saints Church.
- Film critic Barry Norman and his novelist wife Diana Narracott lived in Datchworth for many years, and both their children were born in their house there.
- "Civil Parish population 2011". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 28 October 2016.
- King, Benjamin; Timothy Kutta (2003). Impact: The History of Germany's V-Weapons in World War II. Da Capo Press. p. 309. ISBN 0-306-81292-4.
- Nick Willoughby. "Business is 'fantastic': Hertfordshire couple relaunch village pub - Business". The Comet. Retrieved 1 July 2017.
- Dave Burke. "Hertfordshire film critic Barry Norman in storm over Robin Williams tribute - Welwyn Garden City and Hatfield News - Welwyn Hatfield Times". Whtimes.co.uk. Retrieved 1 July 2017.
- Nick McGrath. "Barry Norman: My family values | Life and style". The Guardian. Retrieved 1 July 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Datchworth.|
|This Hertfordshire location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|