Datteln is a town in the district of Recklinghausen, in North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany. It is situated on a crossroads of four canals (Datteln-Hamm Canal, Wesel-Datteln Canal, Dortmund-Ems Canal and Rhein-Herne Canal), which makes it the biggest canal junction in the World, approx. 10 km north-east of Recklinghausen and 20 km north-west of Dortmund.
Katja Seizinger, former alpine skier and triple Olympic gold medallist, was born in Datteln.
Coal power plant Datteln 1-3
In Datteln born
- Horst Niggemeier (1929–2000), politician, mayor of Datteln
- Reinhard Lettmann (1933–2013), Bishop of Münster (1980–2008)
- Egon Ramms (born 1948), General, 2007-2010 commander at NATO
- Klaus Eberhard (born 1957) Director of Sport of German Tennis Federation and former German professional tennis player
- Ingo Anderbrügge (born 1964), football player and coach
- Katja Seizinger (born 1972), ski racer; three times Sportswoman of the Year
- Dunja Hayali (born 1974), journalist and television presenter
- Charlotte Becker (born 1983), cyclist
- Lukas Nottbeck (born 1988), football player
- Sarah Petrausch (born 1990), German volleyball national team player
Datteln is twinned with:
||Wikimedia Commons has media related to Datteln.