26 June 1956|
(BA with Diploma in Education)
University of California
(MA in Transport Planning & Marketing)
|Years active||1986 — present|
Cabinet of Uganda
|Spouse(s)||Harriet Kate Migereko|
Daudi Migereko is the minister of lands, housing and urban development in the cabinet of Uganda. He was appointed to that position on 27 May 2011. He replaced Omara Atubo, who was dropped from the cabinet. From 16 February 2009 until 27 May 2011, he served as the government's chief whip in the parliament of Uganda. Before that, he was the minister of energy and mineral development in the cabinet. Migereko also represents Butembe County, Jinja District in the parliament.
Background and education
Migereko was born on 26 June 1956 in Jinja District. He graduated from Makerere University with a Bachelor of Arts and a Diploma in Education. His Master of Arts in transport planning and marketing was obtained from the University of California, Santa Barbara, in the United States.
Between 1986 and 2001, he was the director of operations at Intraco Uganda Limited, a private business. During the same period, he also served as a director on the board of FINCA, a Ugandan microfinance company. In 1996, he was elected to represent Butembe County, Jinja District in the parliament. He has been re-elected to that seat ever since.
In 2001, Daudi Migereko served as the deputy director in the Office of the National Political Commissar in the government. Between 2001 and 2005, he served as the state minister for energy and minerals. In 2005, he was appointed the minister of trade, tourism and industry, where he served until 2006.
In 2006, he was appointed minister of energy and minerals, a position he kept until 16 February 2009 when he was appointed chief whip. In the cabinet reshuffle of 27 May 2011, he was reassigned to the Lands and Urban Development Ministry as a full cabinet minister.
In 2008, Migereko was appointed an honorary member of the International Hydropower Association (IHA). The IHA aims at advancing sustainable development of hydro-power projects. Migereko was recognised for his outstanding contribution to the sector nationally and Internationally.
- Mukasa, Henry (28 May 2011). "Museveni Names New Cabinet". New Vision (Kampala). Archived from the original on 11 December 2014. Retrieved 7 December 2014.
- Kimball, Jack (17 February 2009). "Uganda's Museveni Fires Finance Minister". Reuters. Retrieved 7 December 2014.
- Uganda Parliament (2011). "Profile of Migereko Daudi, MP For Butembe County, Jinja District". Parliament of Uganda. Retrieved 7 December 2014.
- Okeya, Moses (13 September 2014). "Pastor's Entry Complicates Migereko's Political Life In Butembe". Daily Monitor (Kampala). Retrieved 7 December 2014.
- Communications Team (August 2014). "Interview With Daudi Migereko, Uganda's Minister of Lands, Housing and Urban Development". The World Folio. Archived from the original on 18 December 2014. Retrieved 7 December 2014.
- Kasita, Ibrahim (6 July 2008). "Migereko Chosen On Global Body". New Vision (Kampala). Archived from the original on 11 December 2014. Retrieved 7 December 2014.